KSB 3.1 issue

Jay Grantland

I have a pair of KSB 3.1's that both tweeters aren't working and the woofer is going to town in and out with very little volume or sound, doesn't matter what receiver I hook them to. I replaced the 4 caps on one of them to see if it made any difference and still the same. Both speakers ohm out like they should, what else on the crossover might cause this? Or what could I be missing?

• Like 1

They are not bi-ampable and the tweeter Ohms out to 4 (3.98) like they should but will not play. They make noise if you have them unhooked from the xover and touch the leads to a AA battery. I've had them on 2 different receivers then hooked them to my setup to test after I recapped them with the same results.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jay Grantland said:

They are not bi-ampable and the tweeter Ohms out to 4 (3.98) like they should but will not play. They make noise if you have them unhooked from the xover and touch the leads to a AA battery. I've had them on 2 different receivers then hooked them to my setup to test after I recapped them with the same results.

Going to tag our x-over guy. So both have problems since before and after recap.

@Deang 

They might have been, I bought them at an estate sale a few months back for my daughters system. I had them on a Marantz 2230 and they sounded off and I realized they had no tweet and the woofers were just going crazy even at very low volume, but they put out muffled sound. I moved them to an old Onkyo just to double check same thing. I shelved them and ordered new caps for both and recapped one of them after I Ohm the drivers they checked out OK. Tested the one out on my downstairs setup after the recap and same thing. There are 2 ceramic resistors, a 2 inductors and another component I haven't ID'd yet that it looks like the leads from the banana plugs feed to first. I check all of them for continuity while still on the board, I haven't had a chance to unsolder them yet and test off the board yet.

• Like 1