No Sound From The Horn on My KLF 30

easyeyes

I've researched the topics for the past year and I did not see any relating to the horn not operating on a KLF 30.

I've had my speakers for about 2 years now, I think the problem has been here all along. I started off with a sony processor then on to yamaha separates and my latest acquisition this past week--299 tube amplifier. With the new amp the problem the issue is more transparent.

Initially, I swapped all of the speaker wires, ensured everything was connected right and still the muffled sound from the speaker. After putting my ear to both speakers it was apparent the there is not sound coming from the driver. There are six screws on the front of the horn to remove it, what can I expect or what should I look for once I remove the cover/horn? Any help is greatly appreciated.

EE

Simple surgury.

Remove screws

check the condition of wires i.e. did they come off the horn either one or both

if the magnet has come off the horn this will require a little more patience.

remove the top woofer and disconnect mark the positive and negative to avoid confusion

search for magnet be gentel (remember the game operaion?)

find magnet remove positve/negative leads mark to avoid confusion (tag for tweeter)

gently screw on magnet Do Not over torque it just hand tighten. I beleive there's some type of plummers tape on the threads.

bring the tweeter wires to the top and reconnect

replace screws

reconnect the woofer

replace screws

you should be in business.

Yep

I've had two occasions

Some time ago I had a JBL with no sound from the tweeter so I opened it up and the tweeter was disconnected from the positive lead.

When I picked up my KLF 30's there was this ricochet sound emitting from one of the cabinets while still in the box. So at the store the salesmen cracked it open and found that magnet unthreaded itself from the mid horn.

I found a mid was cross threaded on one of my 20's when i brought them home two years ago. Not a big deal to fix but Trey tells me it was from shipping handlers dropping the shipping boxes on their back causing the magnets to become seperated from the horn. He also syas that was one of the reasons that Klipsch discontinued the Legend line. I dunno it still looked as if it was cross-threaded but I'm sure if it took a harder jolt then it would be an over-sized baby rattle.

Tblasing,

The horn removal wasn't hard at all, in fact it was very simple. The connectors were lying at the bottom of the cabinet. I wasn't sure which side connected to what (black on one and yellow on the other), so I looked at the other speaker and connected it that way; it sounds really good.

While sticking my hand in the bottom to find the wires I disconnected one of the wires on the upper woofer. No problem, just pull it out and reconnect it. Upon loosing the screws the woofer kind of slipped out and the other wire came off. Didn't want to loosen the other speaker on this one, I connected it like the bottom woofer.

I do not think that this is correct because when I tightened everything back up some bass is missing. It doesn't sound anything like the other speaker. Where can I get a diagram/schematic telling me how the wires should be connected on everything in the cabinet?

Thanks

EE

Yea, it sounds as if it's just a simple out-of-phase hook-up to one of the woofers. I can't remember if the drivers are markes or not but if you pull out the crossover the board will be labled something like W1- and W1+, then W2- and W2+. W1 is Woofer (top). Just look on the board where the leads coming from the drivers are soldered onto the board. The labeling is small but it's there.

Good luck!