Making rear port a front port klf20

Got_Horns

5 minutes ago, CCG said:

What is the disadvantage?

Thanks. CCG

You can't push them up against walls.  Placement is much more forgiving with front ports. 

Other than that, they are pretty similar. 

I'm biased, I live full time in an RV.  Space is a premium for me. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Got_Horns said:

You can't push them up against walls.  Placement is much more forgiving with front ports. 

Other than that, they are pretty similar. 

I'm biased, I live full time in an RV.  Space is a premium for me. 

Well understood. Have you had experience with front ports? They have a similarity but not quite on what I experienced. I really like the sound on both but I play a bit more louder than the norm and my amp is set to produce heavier bass. When I drive the front port on elevator to normal volume, it sounds great. But when I kick over 89 db. and up, the sound on the porthole is beginning to reverberate towards my chest like a bazooka..☹️. Of course I need some treatment too but thats what just I get on higher volumes. But the beauty of this speaker I'm using which is a KG-3.5, the single 8 inch is just right for me which is 600 sq ft. I can play 98 db but I cant say its loud because it I can still talk to someone on top of that sound level. It took me years to setup my system sounding like it. But people have different listening preferences. Have you ever heard the newer speakers with the rear flared porting. The bass blends to the wall and it ripples smoothly than the earlier round ports. That's just like what I hear because I have a modded R610-F driven by a 300b amp. Its amazing what a single 6.5 speaker with an over sized cabinet can do. 

Down firing port is a different story, you might wanna check it out too. But of course its all our preference. I thought Id bring it up. 

If I had the choice, Id like to have my speaker cabinet inside in like a walk-in closet. I tried it long time ago and it has an interesting different kind of sound.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CCG said:

Well understood. Have you had experience with front ports? They have a similarity but not quite on what I experienced. I really like the sound on both but I play a bit more louder than the norm and my amp is set to produce heavier bass. When I drive the front port on elevator to normal volume, it sounds great. But when I kick over 89 db. and up, the sound on the porthole is beginning to reverberate towards my chest like a bazooka..☹️. Of course I need some treatment too but thats what just I get on higher volumes. But the beauty of this speaker I'm using which is a KG-3.5, the single 8 inch is just right for me which is 600 sq ft. I can play 98 db but I cant say its loud because it I can still talk to someone on top of that sound level. It took me years to setup my system sounding like it. But people have different listening preferences. Have you ever heard the newer speakers with the rear flared porting. The bass blends to the wall and it ripples smoothly than the earlier round ports. That's just like what I hear because I have a modded R610-F driven by a 300b amp. Its amazing what a single 6.5 speaker with an over sized cabinet can do. 

Fluxion 6C33C-B 01-20-2023 klipsch 8 inch mid tower speaker 14 ft. away Tascam DR-40x handheld recorder on air.
Hand To Mouth - playback video
[IMG]

The one and most important thing I have learned about HI FI. Is that, you have to do what sounds best to you. 

I would be curious on a direct AB comparison.  I will, when I do the wrap around on the klf20s.

But the front port will sound better next to a wall.  Then a test 18" away from wall.  I can even deaden the wall from the back wave.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Got_Horns said:

The one and most important thing I have learned about HI FI. Is that, you have to do what sounds best to you. 

I would be curious on a direct AB comparison.  I will, when I do the wrap around on the klf20s.

But the front port will sound better next to a wall.  Then a test 18" away from wall.  I can even deaden the wall from the back wave.

Agree, Its all personal preference. Bottom lime is you found the speaker you wanted. There is always a room for adjustments.

I wish I didn't have to this for I like spending more time in recording. But heck its a part of package.  

4 hours ago, CCG said:

Agree, Its all personal preference. Bottom lime is you found the speaker you wanted. There is always a room for adjustments.

I wish I didn't have to this for I like spending more time in recording. But heck its a part of package.  

Yes man, he has a 12 inch passive Radiator up front.