WTB horns for t500 and or klf 20s.

Got_Horns

how about this test ,   take a piece of foam , and glue  it  partially  under the bottom of the mids horn or even easier  wrap the entire horn  with foam  ( dont cover the magnet ) ,

plastic horns can be affected by the Low Frequencies from the woofer  bouncing  off the   bottom of a  Mids or tweeter   horn   , placing a Foam piece loosely  around the woofer can also have  a similar effect  since  you're basically  separating the Low Frequencies  from bouncing off  the mids or tweeter horns surfaces .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OO1 said:

how about this test ,   take a piece of foam , and glue  it  partially  under the bottom of the mids horn or even easier  wrap the entire horn  with foam  ( dont cover the magnet ) ,

plastic horns can be affected by the Low Frequencies from the woofer  bouncing  off the   bottom of a  Mids or tweeter   horn   , placing a Foam piece loosely  around the woofer can also have  a similar effect  since  you're basically  separating the Low Frequencies  from bouncing off  the mids or tweeter horns surfaces .

I have a bunch of plans and tests.  I just don't want to ruin the originals looks.  I plan on deadening the inside of the horns also. Dynomat then MLV. 

My t500s horns hit a resonance around 2-3k.  I can hear this shrill and want to tame it.  My klfs do it to. Just less noticably.  

when testing for resonance , pull  the driver/horn out of the cabinet and re-test  to isolate the  source    ,30+ years old  diaphragms and capacitors in are a   factor  to consider 

Before replacing any parts . do  routine maintenance -   clean  the Voice coil gap   , if there is old Ferro fluid , add new FF   , check the gaskets   , check that all screws are tight    , if the resonance persists ,  replace  with  new  klipsch diaphragms /capacitors for  the crossovers .

• Like 1

Wrap some Coban around the horn, which will hold itself in place quite well and comes off with no mess.  It's what's used in medical for bandaging, etc.  I wrapped one of my CF-3 horns with a roll (a bunch) a couple year back but heard no difference between the wrapped or unwrapped.  Thankfully, my hearing isn't good enough to go through all of this stuff.

Edit:  Now, I "did" notice the difference in the tapping and rapping on the horn both loose and mounted.  But, my ears did not hear an actual sound difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OO1 said:

when testing for resonance , pull  the driver/horn out of the cabinet and re-test  to isolate the  source    ,30+ years old  diaphragms and capacitors in are a   factor  to consider 

Before replacing any parts . do  routine maintenance -   clean  the Voice coil gap   , if there is old Ferro fluid , add new FF   , check the gaskets   , check that all screws are tight    , if the resonance persists ,  replace  with  new  klipsch diaphragms /capacitors for  the crossovers .

Thanks, I will end up doing all this.  I just know that every speaker that I've deadened, has benefited from the deadening. 

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Wrap some Coban around the horn, which will hold itself in place quite well and comes off with no mess.  It's what's used in medical for bandaging, etc.  I wrapped one of my CF-3 horns with a roll (a bunch) a couple year back but heard no difference between the wrapped or unwrapped.  Thankfully, my hearing isn't good enough to go through all of this stuff.

Thanks, I was thinking of something like this.  Didn't know what material to use.

• Like 1