Decision challenged…B2, r-40m, the fives?

Ales2you

First post. Have some old equipment and just getting back into enjoying my stuff.  Talked to my wife and she said ‘listen to it and see if you like it’, which I think is sound advice.  But am hoping for some advice based on technical perspective.

Have a set of ForteII connected to Adcom 555ii, which sounds great! Got the set up back in the early ‘90s, but raising a family I rarely got to enjoy them.  I post this for reference.  

My question is about my stuff for the basement. Years ago I bought, impulsively, a pair of Synergy B2 and a R-12SW (not at the same time). Want to set up the basement to enjoy some music when watching a race or brewing some beer.  After buying my son a set of The Fives for his home, it started me thinking, what should I do?  

I’ve got 2 amps two work with, Sony STR-DE475 and a Kenwood VR-510 (given to me by a friend).  I also have a set of KLF-10s, but don’t want to put them in the basement.  

I think the possibilities are to use the B-2s, the SW and one of the amps (have to read the specs on the amps, don’t know which is better, yet)

Or, pick up a set of Ref bookshelf (r-40M?), as what I read say these are a big step up from the Synergy. And use one of the amps.

Or, buy a pair of The Fives, use it with the SW and be done.  Then give the amps, and the KLF-10 to one of my other kids.

Thanks for any time and thoughts! 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...