Bookshelf Mains In A Bookshelf

Pretior

Unfortunately, architectural considerations force this decision. Must be in the top box of an entertainment center (closed on 5 sides, fabric door on 6th side). Interior dimensions of the box are 19"w x 20"d x 13.5"h. Bottom of the box is about 4.5' up from floor. Max distance between outsides of the two speakers is 90". This is a big room, 14'x 25' at 9' high. Because of open space, the front wall is only 8' and no corners anywhere, open loft-like design. 5.1 budget (speakers only) will not exceed $2,500, inc wires. 66% music, 33% HT. Are there sealed or front-ported speakers that will work? Is in-wall the way to go (but in-box, not in-wall)? I imagine there is some decent solution that may be non-Klipsch. *What kind of bookshelf mains?* I know very little, but do suspect a bad situation. Thanks for your help... 8.gif

The just announced new bookshelf speakers from Kilpsch are front ported for just this reason. You'll have to check on the dimensions though, that seems like a pretty small space to put them in. Directionality might also be an issue since those spaces are pretty high off the floor. Sounds like an Ethan Allen entertainment center?

Ouchy. Thats some pretty tight conditions. Well, sounds like the areas for holding the speaks are wider than the are tall. HMMM. Looks like what you might want to do it to place the speaks sideways. If you do go with Klipsch, This can be done easily by taking out the horn and rotating it 90 degrees. Several people on the forum have done this before and according to the Klipsch forum moderators, this wil not void the waranty. Right now it looks like rb-5IIs would be the best. BUt as tripod said you could wait or the new bookshelves to come out (with front firing ports). You could possibly use RB-35s, or maybe even rb-75s, but $1200 for a pair of mains is probably out of your pricerange. If you would settle for a 2.1 system (2 mains and a sub), at least for now, you could really have a superior music system. I mean for $2500, you could get a hell of a set up. Prehaps a pair of RB-75s, A RSW-10 or 12, a high quality Pre/Power amp combo, and a nice cd player. But if your heart is set on 5.1, you'll have to step down your mains to rb-35s, or 25s, your sub to RSW-10 or RW-12, You'll have to purchase a musically inferior reciever, A DVD-player, not to mention 3 more speaks for surround sound. Prehaps a RC-25 and RS-25s. That still is a hell of a home theatre, and not to shabby with music.

You probably will go for the 5.1 system, so heres how id tackle it:

Mains: RB-35 ($600) (on their sides)

Center: RC-25 ($280)

Surrounds: RS-25 ($400)

Sub: RW-12 ($650)

Reciever: Pioneer VSX-D811s ($300)

DVD Player:Pioneer DV-656A ($170)

Leaving a cool $100 bucks to spend on cables.

I like pioneer stuff, but there are plenty of good companies out there, like Denon, and Harman Kardon and pleny more. I kindof cheaped out on the components, put too much towards speaks. Its flexable. Whatever you like. You could also save yourself a coool hundred bucks by using RB-15s instead of RS-25s. I still say a music system would be better. But whatever floats your boat.

And for anyone who is about to chastise me on my choice of reciever and dvd-player, just let me say that I realize it is a bit of a mismatch, and if youve got a better plan please mention it, but dont tear me to peices.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, I present the mother of all audio dream crushers, on display at a Tweeter near you:

http://www.jsp-industries.com/Pages/introhomethea.html

My $400 furniture alternative is "Bachelor Industrial". Hey, its a hard room and ppl got to live there. So, do it in this order: 1) furniture, 2) speakers, 3) electronics. I'm moving on with a spring in my step and a smile on my face to the living room for 2 channel!

Electronics plan was HK 525 and Panasonic CP72. I have a budget of $2,500 for speakers and wires. The "lay it sideways" option is good, one dealer told me that the tweeter gets sucked in the direction of the woofer, and it was a bad idea. This is the way its got to be, and I look foreward to trashing hardware. :)

Edit: Looks like no way to turn the horn in the new RB-35, based on pics, the horn is integrated into the front. :( So, How bad will the ref 5 bookshelves be inside the bookshelf?