Epic CF2 or KG4

Micklipsch

43 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Nice they appear to be in good shape. I liked the KG-4's I had decent little speakers, curious to hear your impressions especially compared to the CF-4's. 

For sure. I do run dual 12” subs with the CF4s, so hoping the difference won’t be too stark.

On 3/4/2023 at 9:43 PM, jjptkd said:

Nice they appear to be in good shape. I liked the KG-4's I had decent little speakers, curious to hear your impressions especially compared to the CF-4's. 

Initial impressions are very positive—zero confirmation bias. They easily saturate the space with great theatre sound while watching media, if only I have to turn the volume a little higher to approach the CF4’s sensitivity. This is obviously to be expected. I’m not done tweaking especially in the subwoofer area as there’s more harmony to be had. Throwing on S3 E1 of The Mandalorian, and later The Bad Batch (I love watching Star Wars anime with my son), was fun right off the bat. These KGs are nimble and handle action scenes superbly. Of note here, I’m still running the KV4 center. These were made for the Epics but the timber still feel quite natural. I may not know what I’m missing here and I’ll probably be on the hunt for the centers voiced for these KGs. I have some research to do but it seems to be the 2.2V or 2.5V? 

Imaging is fantastic. I auditioned them on a McIntosh 252 playing stuff off Tejas (ZZ Top), Beatles, and some newer age stuff. Everything you’d expect from Tejas, warm with nice roll-off, to open and airy on the new stuff. On The Beatles’ Taxman, Paul’s bass thumps were thick and controlled.

The handsome risers help with bringing the soundstage into focus. I‘ll perhaps even grab some cushioned couplers for the bases to eliminate any possible dancing of the speakers, as they’re fully on hardwood floors. 

Aesthetically, they’re beautiful and in my favorite Klipsch veneer. I’ll probably have a hard time finding a walnut center channel to match as most centers seem to be black. At any rate, they’re a fantastic find and will always be in the family. 

So to conclude, I couldn’t be happier as I achieved both goals of downsizing and retaining exceptional fidelity. 

• Like 2