Eico HF81 woody

Hofy

LORD. The wood idea is a good one but not that cheesy job! That is pretty awful looking. Might be a good deal with this unit though. Some VERY nice EICOs have gone off ebay at reasonable prices with a VERY solid unit with factory wiring coming in around $220 which is a deal. Just dont talk too much about them! heh... they got WAAAY out of hand last summer so I am really cooling it.

When doing the EICO case, I recommend PAINTING THE KNOBS satin black at the same time. Really fixes them up. I put a piece of paint masking tape over the indicators and gave them four coats of satin black (satin black for case too). Looks GReat.

eico_white_500.jpg

kh

Too easy, fini. Painfully easy. Where is the old fini I used to know and love? Of course, this place will probably bust a gut at that so...

How's the tube hunt coming? You ever get that Fisher going 100%?

Hofy, the fully painted EICO is really a standout in person. It looks really neat on the rack. Ditto with the knobs. Craig is right...those knobs are VERY ugly. They look like a totally different animal with a few coats of satin black. Make sure you wash/clean the bastard out of them first, however. Man, they are beyond dirty, especially given the 60s "Sea-Biscuit" brown coloring.

kh

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I'm fixin' to send the Fisher off to Mike Zuccarro in San Diego as soon as I can get it together. I guess I'll wait and see what he says about the tubes before I go buying 7591a's. I'm leaning toward the EH's you suggested. Matched quad, readily available, and a good reference point.

I won an auction for 3/7247's, which completes the tubes needed for another find, a Fisher console, containing a 440A amp (see photo) and a 440T tuner (photo in next post). The power tubes I'll start with are Sovteks I picked up ultra cheap. I should be able to see if it works, anyway. As you can see from the pics, I'll be filling up a few vacuum cleaner bags before firing it up...

fini

post-3580-13819246161078_thumb.jpg