off-topic but a fun read - hey Chris Robinson - look!

heresy2guy

Oh man, that made me LAUGH! How true is all that? I wish I could remember the stories of climbing I-70 out in Jim Cornell's part of the world ... You know, past Empire, up toward Plume and the final ascent to the Eisenhower Tunnel -- ALL IN SECOND GEAR !!

And people thought I was just spraying for mosquitoes!

But I loved that car -- There was no better car for economy-comfortable cruising on I-70 from the Mississippi to the Rockies. Just set it at 75 and forget it. Rock solid. Mile for mile, it was the cheapest car I ever drove. I paid $11000 for it brand new, drove it 440,000 miles, and sold it for $3000. Tough to beat that one.

But then there were those Denver winter mornings when it was -10F outside and you were parked on the curb, too far away for the block heater. You could just about forget driving that day.

I remember heading up to Denver from Tucson with 30-weight in the engine, after all it was hot and sunny all the time down there. My buddy and I camped in the woods at about 9000 feet somewhere west of the divide, and we woke up in the morning with frost on the inside of the tent. I knew it would be trouble -- hadn't thought of this problem. Here we were, in the middle of a forest pull-off, parked next to the campfire.

We stoked up the fire, heated up the rocks and got a good coal base, then moved some hot rocks and coals underneath the oil pan protective sled, ate breakfast. By the time we had broken down camp, the oil was a nice warm 40F, the car turned over and off we went.

Those were great times.

Great story, Chris! heh... reminded me of old times in the 220D. Went skiing and had the same thing happen. Except there was no campfire in the lodge and we were 16 and didnt know WHY that damn thing wouldnt start. Glow plug hell..... we had to wait till 1pm and a tow truck. They guy brought it inside his garage and sat around for an hour.....started it up. Boom, there goes $50! heh.... I loved that beast though. The 220D made the 240D feel spritely!

kh