Cinema 800 Squealing Noise

vihurricane

For the last 2 years, I’ve been dealing with an intermittent issue on my Klipsch Cinema 800 sound bar. It is connected to a Sony Bravia XBR65A8H via HDMI eARC. I also have a pair of Surround 3 speakers. The soundbar powers on and off with the Bravia.

Every so often, the speakers will emit a low squealing noise when they turn on with the tv. The display comes up and I am able to change the volume, but there is no audio from the content on the tv. I have tried to power down the soundbar while it’s in this state, but the eARC connection causes it to power back on automatically when it recognizes the active input on the tv. The only way to reset the soundbar is to unplug it, wait for a few seconds and plug it back in. It works for 1-3 weeks and then it happens again.

I’ve reached out to Klipsch support about this but they seem to be bewildered by the cause. I’ve done factory resets, firmware re-flashes, and changed the HDMI cable twice.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a resolution, or does anyone have any ideas on a potential cause for the issue? I’m thinking I could use an optical cable, but then I’m limited on audio format support to Dolby Digital and not Dolby Digital Plus.

Edited by vihurricane
Spelling error
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vihurricane said:

For the last 2 years, I’ve been dealing with an intermittent issue on my Klipsch Cinema 800 sound bar. It is connected to a Sony Bravia XBR65A8H via HDMI eARC. I also have a pair of Surround 3 speakers. The soundbar powers on and off with the Bravia.

Every so often, the speakers will emit a low squealing noise when they turn on with the tv. The display comes up and I am able to change the volume, but there is no audio from the content on the tv. I have tried to power down the soundbar while it’s in this state, but the eARC connection causes it to power back on automatically when it recognizes the active input on the tv. The only way to reset the soundbar is to unplug it, wait for a few seconds and plug it back in. It works for 1-3 weeks and then it happens again.

I’ve reached out to Klipsch support about this but they seem to be bewildered by the cause. I’ve done factory resets, firmware re-flashes, and changed the HDMI cable twice.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a resolution, or does anyone have any ideas on a potential cause for the issue? I’m thinking I could use an optical cable, but then I’m limited on audio format support to Dolby Digital and not Dolby Digital Plus.

Welcome back! Have you tried optical yet, just for the trouble shooting? Thanks!

3 hours ago, vihurricane said:

the power supply fails very often with these units ,   but the unit powers on off ,  so , ruled out 

- it could  be the logic board  ,  but since you are doing resets and firmware updates , with success , ruled out  as well 

-it could also be wireless interference with the .Klipsch Surround 3  speakers ..this appears to me to be the most likely cause of the noise , 

14 hours ago, billybob said:

Welcome back! Have you tried optical yet, just for the trouble shooting? Thanks!

Hi. I tried optical as an alternative last year and ended up with a weird echo as sound was being output from my tv and the soundbar simultaneously even though I set the tv audio output to be External Speakers only. I’m willing to give it another go, but worrie that I’d lose support for Dolby Digital Plus (heavy Netflix user) by not using eARC.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, OO1 said:

the power supply fails very often with these units ,   but the unit powers on off ,  so , ruled out 

- it could  be the logic board  ,  but since you are doing resets and firmware updates , with success , ruled out  as well 

-it could also be wireless interference with the .Klipsch Surround 3  speakers ..this appears to me to be the most likely cause of the noise , 

Thanks for the reply and checking my testing logic. I’d normally agree with you except the noise only emits from the soundbar and not the surround speakers. I’ve experienced the squeal and pop noise from the surround 3 in the past and realized it was interference being caused by the Wi-Fi router. That has since been resolved by relocating the router.

But you do have me thinking if there is a chance the transmitter for the Surround 3s are a potential cause?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vihurricane said:

But you do have me thinking if there is a chance the transmitter for the Surround 3s are a potential cause?

yes , it could be  , but it could also be caused by another device   using WIFI  in close proximity  .

8 hours ago, OO1 said:

yes , it could be  , but it could also be caused by another device   using WIFI  in close proximity  .

Well, the tv is connected via Wi-Fi, but it’s been my experience that interference yields pops and crackles. I’ve never had the soundbar fail to operate due to interference.

On 7/16/2023 at 7:09 PM, vihurricane said:

I have the exact same problem with my Cinema 800 and it has been this way since I bought it in 2021. I also have the surround 3s but I am using an LG C1 for my TV. I have seen this reported for the Cinema 1200 as well but I have yet to see a root cause or a fix identified. I have done troubleshooting with Klipsch support but nothing resolves the issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 7:46 PM, DanQ said:

I have the exact same problem with my Cinema 800 and it has been this way since I bought it in 2021. I also have the surround 3s but I am using an LG C1 for my TV. I have seen this reported for the Cinema 1200 as well but I have yet to see a root cause or a fix identified. I have done troubleshooting with Klipsch support but nothing resolves the issue. 

That’s interesting. The Bravia A8H and LG C1 share the same panel, but they use different electronics for processing a/v signals. I feel like that makes our issues related, but can’t quite figure out the connection.

It’s sad to hear that the 1200 experiences this issue as well. I may have to look at other options to enjoy surround sound at home.

On 7/21/2023 at 7:45 PM, OO1 said:

how is your router configured   (both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz)  

I have been thinking about your post and have decided to run an experiment. I do have a wireless AP nearby (~6ft) so I turned the transmitter power down on both bands and will see if the problem resolves itself. The squealing problem is intermittent so it will take a while to test but I will post back with my results. 

On 7/22/2023 at 5:19 AM, DanQ said:

I am skeptical that this is an  EMI problem.

how about a test to find out if it is EMI or not  ..... disable  WIFI  ,   plug   ethernet cables  into the sound bar + the internet router   

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, my Wi-Fi router isn’t close enough for me to test this using an Ethernet cable. I appreciate the suggestions, but I really think it’s something to do with the interaction between the soundbar and the tv. The issue only occurs during the Power On sequence when the the TV sends the Powe On Command to the soundbar via HDMI CEC.

I have a sneaking suspicion that whatever app was last use on the TV output, some type of invalid signal when the TV power is on that causes the sound bar to glitch,”. Unfortunately, I can’t think of a good way to test and validate that theory.

The good news is Klipsch has offered to send me a replacement because it sounds like there’s been other issues with the 800 series. I do appreciate their customer support.

• 3 months later...

I'm facing an issue with my Cinema 700 system (Costco version of Cinema 800), which is connected to a Sony X91CJ TV. Recently, I added a pair of Surround 3 speakers to the setup. However, I've been experiencing audio issues even before integrating the Surround 3, and this persists when WIFI is disconnected, suggesting that signal interference is unlikely to be the cause.