The MBS-3 is field tested, listener approved...

Mallette

I'm baaaaack!

As promised to Craig and others a while back, here is the poop on my latest (third) attempt at what is now a combination location recorder, DAW, and audio server.

BTW, I started to attach a few file pix, but only one went up and I don't know where it went. If you want pix, tell me how to do this as I've little patience at the moment to figure it out.

Hardware:

>Chassis/MB: Shuttle SSG40G/w Athlon 1700+/256 mb PC2100 RAM (total, 430.00)

>20 mb HDD for system, Win2000 (40.00)

>Removable HDD drawer for various media drives(30.00, 20.00 each for extra drawers)

>External USB 2.0 CDRW, 48X (burns an audio CD in 3.5 minutes) (100.00)

>Card Deluxe (360.00)

Software:

Exact Audio Copy (best CD ripper anywhere...and free)

Shorten (also free, compresses WAV files by 30/50% LOSSLESSLY)

WinAmp 3.0 with Shnamp (to play shorten files, both free)

Sound Forge 6.0 (for recording 24/96 and editing, 500.00)

Sound Forge NX Reduction (for cleaning up LP's and other noisy files, 200.00)

Cool Edit Pro (for recording and editing more than the 2 tracks allowed by SF6)

Nero Burning (CD burner)

Description:

The Shuttle SS40G is about the size of a two slice popup toaster and weighs maybe 7 lbs fully loaded, and doesn't dominate the audio system like the 40 lb. Dell server I built my last iteration around. Certainly much less hassle to haul into the field and to listening sessions! Only complaint: Fan is too loud. While easily covered during listening, it is pretty noticiable with nothing else going. Due to the very small size, the computer requires very specialized cooling (you can see the heat pipes in the pix if I get them uploaded). I am loath to experiment with other fans at the moment, but intend to do so in the future.

Field test:

First field test was abortive. As this was a paid gig for a commercial release, I certainly didn't want to experiment! I used my trusty Sony RM500 DAT deck as primary and two sets of mics. Since I really couldn't concentrate on the MBS-3 setup, I wound up with a bad mic cable that produced mainly hum. I had it set for 24/96, so it was very high quality hum. The good channel, however, showed great promise with a more-LP like quality than 16/44.1 can produce. The CD, to be released in the DFW area soon, is a variety of chamber works by Grainger, Bartok, Prokofiev, Tjevic, and Prokofiev entitled "A Peasant Celebration." My wife's blue-blood Cape Cod 83 year old aunt raved about it, and saying she is suddenly much more critical of recorded sound. Needless to say, I am pleased... Back to the subject at hand.

First successful solo field test at high res was at a choral concert of the Vivaldi "Gloria". I decided to try recording at 24/88.2 to test the premise that reduction from this mathmatical doubleing of the CD rate of 16/44.1 would produce much better sound, while producing no audible degradation not attributable to the lost information. For this event, I was able to get just outside the church proper so the fan noise was no issue. I used Beyer MC-7 ribbon mics in a coincedent config placed about 14 feet high and looking down at the choir, which placed the back lobes of the figure 8 above the audience and in the ambience of the superb acoustics of the building. Mic preamp was HHB Radius 10 vacuum tube. The MBS-3 performed flawlessly. With probably 12 hours or better of space on the HDD to record, it was the first time I didn't have to worry about starting/stopping/changing tapes...just let'her run!

Listening:

My first thought was "damn near sounds like LP!" The sound was truly awesome, with none of the "brick cieling" sound of CD. It was easy to close my eyes and be back there. Every voice and the piano were precisely as real. Next, I reduced the 24/88.2 (via copy, of course) to 16/44.1. While there was certainly a bit of constriction now present, I was surprised and pleased that the sound was no worse than my field recordings done in native 16/44.1. The pundits are dead right about this. Now I wish the CD would do 176.4! (Gripe, gripe...guess it will always be somthing!)

Next test was a chamber singers group of 15. Had perfect mic position right in front. This time, I had to place the MBS-3 under pew and surround it with kneeler cushions to surpress the fan noise. I also made an operator error that resulted in recording at 16/44.1 instead of the intended 24/88.2. Nonetheless, the sound was wonderful and intimate. I played it for a non-audiophile neighbor. She jumped to the edge of the futon immediately as it started and said "Who is THIS?" and was completely taken both by the performance and the sound. She talked about it for an hour afterwards, and rarely does so about music or sound. The choral members and director were so impressed we are scheduling a re-recording studio style of both the "Gloria" and the "Lessons and Carols" for next month to correct some musical errors (in the case of the Gloria) and replace the congregational singing (in the case of "Lessons and Carols"). Both CD's will be "sold" (for donations) to benefit our pipe organ project. We hope to replace the piano with harpsichord, which I will mic separately on a third track for balance. I can do this by routing the digital output of the RM500 (which presents in real time) to the digital in of the Card Deluxe, which will accept two analog and two digital for a total of 4 tracks. Of course, I will be limited to 16/44.1 due to the limits of the RM500, but I think it worth it. Res is not everything...

My patron producer wants to do another chamber music recording in the spring, this time all Grainger. As all except the pianist (producer) are DSO musicians, it should be really great. I've asked to her find a more intimate venue this time, as the Mesquite Recital Hall is way too live for a good chamber sound.

As to use as a simple audio server, I submit that the CD sound quality is comparable only to audiophile ($$$) cd players. Further, being able to store an unlimited number of CD's for immediate access is something none of them can do. Even more, you get 24/96 (and down, of course) capability that produces recordings of LP's that are ALMOST as good as the LP played directly. This was confirmed by Bob Lemker and Mike Walters at the most recent DFW Klipsch Forum listen fest last Sunday. Without getting too wild in my claims, let's just say listening to a recorded LP on the MBS-3 doesn't make you want to run to the record shelf like CD's of same do.

Dave