Review: Tripath PWM P6D amplifier

Audio Flynn

Gaincard .. based on reviews looks good (not cheap). A real fast ss amp with lots of feedback should be able to do the trick. I thought the Job amp sounded nice and that's what that is. Also, the 25 W Gaincard scale makes more sense than the 60 W Job, for 1 W Klipsch applications.

If it doesn't make ears bleed through the Avantgarde Duo it's probably pretty clean.

leok

well I am going to take the plunge with leo's P6D amplifier. Give me somehting to play with while waiting for the SET amp...guess I beat Dean to it again, huh? lol. I will hook it up to my k-horns in my main rig and tell you all how it sounds compared to my dynaco monoblocks and later to Jean Francois's SET. regards, Tony

I am almost afraid to try them, supppose I then want to dump all my tube amps...think it will happen? lol! I AM looking forward to playing with it though, I may connect it in my bedroom system and see how it compares to my McIntosh integrated as well...tony

This will be interesting to see other people with different Klipsch models and front ends expeince this newer technology.

I was in Mexico since Monday, looking forward to an 1.5 hour min. listening session in the morning before I go to work.

Even my wife likes the P6D. She grades more papers in front of the 2 channel now, than she does in front of the HT playing music.

• 2 years later...

I am almost afraid to try them, supppose I then want to dump all my tube amps...think it will happen? lol! I AM looking forward to playing with it though, ...

I thought the same thought. I got a Tripath amp (Teac 30W) to see what all the fuss was about. I can see why folks that like CD over vinyl would prefer Tripath amps to tubes. In the case of the Teac, it is very quiet with an absolutely black background. Compared to my tubes, the Teac is more extended in the highs and lows (like CDs) and for my tastes its a little too much. I go back to my tubes because to me they sound more natural, Every few months I pull out the Teac and listen again - interesting, but I always go back to the tubes. For the about $100 I paid for it, the Teac is good enough to get me by if I ever have to send my tube amps off for maintenance or repair (or upgrade?).