Bass or midtone out of phase.

Bjornar

I have 2 Klipsch KSP400, and while doing a phase test, I noticed I can not get the midtown and the bass in phase at the same time. What can cause this, and how to I resolve the problem? I use single wiring of the of the cables to the speakers. Could bi-wiring with different phase correct the problem? I tested the amplifier with the same cable on another speaker, and that went fine. 

Edited by Bjornar
typing error
  • Like 1

Not sure I got the problem. For passive crossovers phase is often not same for all drivers. If that was creators intention and you will reverse one of the drivers,then you will get bumps and dips in frequency characteristics.

How you got to your conclusion? Did you made some measurements?

Still not sure about your scenario. Test you included is about polarity between two speakers in stereo pair, not for drivers in single speaker. So it's crucial to have same polarity for left and light speaker, not for separate drivers in single speaker.

Of course there is possibility that at speaker assembling or in amplifier (or even with cable itself, and you can verify this  with voltmeter) something was done incorrectly, but then it needs closer inspection and some measurements to confirm this. So you could try to open speakers and check both if they are exactly same assembled, but only if they are out of warranty. Otherwise would be good to confirm this with some measurements and then call warranty claim.

But for a start I would check speaker cable first, maybe in one or other colors where mixed, then I would try with other amplifier.

The amplifier is OK. I testet another set of speakers, and all the tests gave me the correct answer. Since the phase test for the bass with both spakers active (stereo) went fine with the Klipsch speakers, the problem with phase in the midtones should indicate an internal phase problem between the elements in the speaker? I could check the internal wiring, but maybe it is easier to use bi-wiring on one of the speakers and change the phase on the midtones? I expect it to be less risky than opening the speaker. The speakers are old, and out of warranty. I also have the humming issue, but I guess there is no connection between this and the phase problem?