Klipsch Heresey circa 1977

waldobou2

I have a pair of Klipsch Heresey circa 1977, That are in great shape. I refinished them about 5 years ago, but otherwise have done nothing else to them. They sound as good as the day I bought them used in 1977. My question is do I run them till they die or is there any type of maintainence I shold perform on these. Will the woofers eventually dry out?

Thanks

Walter

in Connecticut

waldobou2

Those heresys should last indefinitely with normal use. The woofers used in the Klipsch line do not have the polybutyl surrounds that were so common 25 years ago which eventually fall apart because of outgassing.

Just continue to use and love them.

You don't need to do a thing to them unless you have problems. The paper in the woofer cones does become more brittle with age, faster when exposed to high temperature, high humidity, and sunlight. When this happens, you cannot run them as loud without without risk of damaging the cones. FWIW I have no problems with my 1966 models or 1972 models. So, if yours have had reasonable care, you should be fine. There are tweaks aimed at improving the sound if you are interested. But they are in no way necessary.

Walter,

I also have a pair of 77 Heresy's. Mine have never been abused, one has never had the back off. As near as I can tell they sound as good as new. On the woofer, this is a high efficiency unit in a sealed box. Don't expect to see the cone wallowing around like on some (lesser) speakers. The fixed volume of air in the box limits the excursion of the cone.

Some complain about the higher ranges being over-prominent on Heresy's, there is a mod floating around here that doesn't involve and different parts, just a re-arranging of the wiring on the transformer that's mounted on the crossover inside the box.

The factory parts in a 77 Heresy are top-notch IMHO. If there are no blown drivers you'll be hard pressed to improve much on them without making non-trivial changes to the box.

Tom