Custom built baltic birch cabinets

jwgorman

In 2019 I had a local cabinet maker build me some Cornwall/Altec 19 inspired two ways from 3/4” baltic birch. 
He even used baltic birch for bracing and at my request, we ended up making the motorboard 1.5” thick (2.25” where the t-nuts for the woofer mount) for no good reason. 
These speakers have provided countless hours of crossover and driver experimentation. I have left them configured with 15PR400-4s and HF-146 on ZXPC horns. 
They are crossed at 700HZ and sound very balanced. I’m sure a digital active crossover would have been much easier to work out but clearly I like old school stuff. 
The crossover was by far the most frustrating part of working through this design and I don’t claim it’s perfect. They are very dynamic/efficient and more polite than my Cornwall IIs were but still posses a front and center presentation.  
Alas I think I am ready to move to a smaller box for continued scientific experiments. These are 23.5x24x43.5” and guessing they are  roughly 150 pounds each!
You can experiment to your heart’s content or leave them as they are. I am near Cedar Rapids Iowa. 
$2000

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_2999.jpeg

IMG_2998.jpeg

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

• Like 4

Beautiful cabinets!!  Having just built a Cornwall clone I can appreciate the craftsmanship.  I also like that the motor board is extra stout.  I wish I had done similar, although not 2.25 inches!! You are leaving approximately $1400 in drivers in them.  GLWS!

Edited by rebos
Added more text
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, rebos said:

Beautiful cabinets!!  Having just built a Cornwall clone I can appreciate the craftsmanship.  I also like that the motor board is extra stout.  I wish I had done similar, although not 2.25 inches!! You are leaving approximately $1400 in drivers in them.  GLWS!

Thanks. Yes, I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from them. Thanks for pointing out my 2.25” comment. The front of the motorboard is 1.5”, where the t-nuts mount for the woofer is 2.25”.  I’ve edited that part. 

On 11/6/2023 at 9:49 PM, jwgorman said:

In 2019 I had a local cabinet maker build me some Cornwall/Altec 19 inspired two ways from 3/4” baltic birch. 
He even used baltic birch for bracing and at my request, we ended up making the motorboard 1.5” thick (2.25” where the t-nuts for the woofer mount) for no good reason. 
These speakers have provided countless hours of crossover and driver experimentation. I have left them configured with 15PR400-4s and HF-146 on ZXPC horns. 
They are crossed at 700HZ and sound very balanced. I’m sure a digital active crossover would have been much easier to work out but clearly I like old school stuff. 
The crossover was by far the most frustrating part of working through this design and I don’t claim it’s perfect. They are very dynamic/efficient and more polite than my Cornwall IIs were but still posses a front and center presentation.  
Alas I think I am ready to move to a smaller box for continued scientific experiments. These are 23.5x24x43.5” and guessing they are  roughly 150 pounds each!
You can experiment to your heart’s content or leave them as they are. I am near Cedar Rapids Iowa. 
$2000

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_2999.jpeg

IMG_2998.jpeg

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg

IMG_3002.jpeg

That corner joint look awesome. To work with that router bit, a table router is needed right?

Edited by Horn Tube