Opinions from the xperts' on a TV.

iXtreme

I have been eyeing two TV's now. The Sony 51" wide screen HDTV and the Sony 53" 4X3 aspect HDTV. I will be watching TV 80% and movies 20%. I have a sat. system but it's not HDTV. It has a 16 X 9 mode but I don't know what that'll look like.. will it be stretched? It's a 4700 model dish network reciever. Echostar I believe as you Americans call it. Not planning to buy an HDTV set top box any time soon but will be getting a progressive scan DVD player. Any opinions would really be appreciated.

After looking at the costs of the rear-projection tv's, I found that I could purchase a projector below that price. There are many new projectors out there now that project > 100' images very well and under the $5000 mark. In fact, some of the most popular models (Sony HD-10 and the Panny AE300) are both under $3000, and really closer to $2000 with the internet dealers. Why settle for 55' rear projection where you have to be sitting dead-on to get the best view, when you can get twice the view, just as good of quality, and larger viewing angles. Plus with the two above projectors I mentioned being LCD based, I can play my xbox, pc, and gamecube games without the fear of burn-in. Awesome.

Check out the avs forum at avsforum.com and read read read!

I think LS has it right. You can get good\great DLP front projectors(LCD is prehistoric, cheap, pixelization is quite evident) from $2800(CDN) and up. Minimum throw distance of 3ft, upwards of 25+ ft back, the further back, the bigger the screen of course, and NO you don't lose on pic quality(DLP video chip technology, designed for film use, not office business, hence MS Office and PowerPoint\Proxima on Laptops). The Plus 810 and 1100 series are nice, under 5500(CDN) The 810 series is 800X600 rez, the 1100's are 1024X768 and are 3" thick, 9"X 7"X1.3", 1000 lumens and 3.3 lbs. The fan is noisey, not so much in the HE3200 Piano at 32db(the Piano HE3200 is quite nice even at 450 lumens, won 4 awards!). They will all do 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio, just need to know what screen size(4:3/16:9, fixed mounted, electronic, or basic manual pull down), and inches diagonal. The inputs will take a sat\cable box, PS2\Xbox, Personal CP. DVD, VCR,HDTV compatible, etc.

Even better yet are the Infocus and the Sim2 outta Italy, beautiful DLP's! There are several types of DLP's out there, but the "3" main manufactures are mentioned. In case, the DLP technology belongs to Texas Instruments(created in 98 I believe). Then again, as a Marantz owner, the Marantz DLP VP-12S2 is spectacular to say the least....OUCH.........

The Sharps, NEC's, DreamVision, Videotron's, etc etc etc are "made" by the Plus\Lightware Corporation out of Japan(no1 Asian Manufacturer the last 4 yrs).

Or have a huge cabinet at 207 lbs,2.5ft deep, 5ft across by 5ft high, Toshiba 65HDX82, retail $5999.99 cdn.. I owned a 53" Toshiba, went back to tube....mind you a "good" plasma is still quite costly. DLP is the way to go....for now....and there is no "burn in" problem.....

----------------

LCD is prehistoric, cheap, pixelization is quite evident

----------------

From what basis do you draw THAT information?

The TRUTH is that LCD technology gives you sharper images than DLP with a better color saturation! True, LCD's do have the pixelation (also known as "screendoor effect"), but if you are far enough from the screen this won't matter! Plus, the latest LCD's do really, really well. DLP suffers in that not all people can watch images projected from this kind of projector. Personally, if I invite a lot of people over to watch movies, I don't want someone to complain that they can't watch because they are getting headaches from the "rainbow effect". However, DLP is nice because they have very good contrast (LCD's tend to be very weak in the black levels).

Here's a good article to check out to read up on the two technologies (and also LCOS technology): http://www.projectorcentral.com/lcd_dlp.htm

Plus, you don't have to go as high as earlier suggested. Beginner projectors (new) begin in the $1500 range. You can actually find very, very good projectors in the $3000 range that compete with the $10000 big boys. Check out that avs forum and do some research!

Don't hear it from us! Find out what things you want and don't care as much for and make the best decision. No matter what you choose it's gonna be great...you could be watching movies on a 100+' screen ;).

I wanted a projector but bought a RPTV for the following reason:

1. I only sit 9-11' feet away (would be about 3' farther using a projector which would help but my room isn't big enough to really need a projector.

2. I like the picture quality of RPTV a lot better--especially the blacks.

3. I seemed to like the $6K+ projectors better than the $3k ones.

4. The projector seems to require a darker room although I can address that issue.

I have wired my room for a projector so it's still an option for the future.

One note on RPTV:

1. I still don't like the stretch modes. It's OK but I'd rather watch an analog 4:3 TV than a digital wide screen stretched.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late response, been away.

To LS,

I do my homework first, from reviews to actual viewing. I almost went with a DLP after I got rid of my 53" RPTV. I wanted a Plasma but big $$$$$$$$$$$$ for a "quality" one..

First off, I have seen both in "side by side" tests, quite obvious. The "rainbow effect" is only evident in a small percentage of the population...yup, not "everyone" can see it as you state. Where as pixelization is quite evident, LCD was "originally" designed for "business" use...."NOT" HT, like CRT! DLP is "designed" for "video" use, geeezzzz....which would I have in my house??!!! I'm sorry your an LCD owner/fan. Did you sit in a Theatre and ask people if their eyes hurt or head nes pa?! Give me a break....ok.....I saw a screen.......OUCH........head hurts......

Don't believe everything you read at projcentral, hence one of the DLP's I mentioned they have stated is "not" HD compat. Wanna see it on HD Sat????????? Just like Audioreview.com.

If you actually read my post you will noticed I mentioned "Canadian $$$$"...you convert!

Then again, you bargain with your respective Dealer.......

As for the light facture, light affects "ANY" video source......you can't hide from it, ditch it pretty well......buttttttttttttt.......

If you compare a 10K Sim3 out of Italy to a 3K lower end DLP(LG), you are "quite" mistaken!

They don't even compete, ever heard the saying....you get what you pay for????, wellllllllll........

3.gif

----------------

On 2/11/2003 10:36:12 PM boomer9911 wrote:

I do my homework first, from reviews to actual viewing.

The "rainbow effect" is only evident in a small percentage of the population...yup, not "everyone" can see it as you state.

I'm sorry your an LCD owner/fan. Did you sit in a Theatre and ask people if their eyes hurt or head nes pa?! Give me a break....ok.....I saw a screen.......OUCH........head hurts......

----------------

1. So do I. I was just giving one link of information for the person on this thread to have a head-start in understanding the 3 different technologies and their immediate differences. It was in no way suggesting that I only use that site or that my only knowledge came from that article. Anyways, I am constantly reading different reviews and also sharing opinions on such sites as avsforum.com, so your baseless claims are invalid.

2. Actually if you look up at my post, I didn't say that everyone has this problem. And I quote: "DLP suffers in that not all people can watch images projected from this kind of projector" ...not all people...hmm, that's not "everyone". By the way, what's up with your " " obsession? :)

3. Sorry that you are a DLP fanboy. I actually like the images from both LCD & DLP projectors, but find that LCD is a better choice for me. Dismissing technologies as irrelevant (as your postings claim) in favor of only one (DLP) is arrogant.