Heresy II cabinet materials in 1990???

BigBusa

Hi people, I have a pair of 1990 heresy 2's and was wondering what the cabinets are made out of? I know they have an oak veneer but what is the wood underneath?

Is it actual plywood or is it MDF board?

I looked at the specs for todays heresy 2's and they are made out of "ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)"

Mine from 1990 certainly do not feel like MDF.

Anyone know for certain?

thank you

1990 was veneered MDF, if my sources stating veneered MDF began in 1989 for Heresys are correct. MDF is heavier than plywood...I have no idea why the new Heresys are listed as weighing ten pounds LESS than 1990 ones...could be magnet weights or something...maybe crossover parts too...who knows? Plastic horn lenses are lighter than metal ones too...just check the rear edge of your cabinet body panels...if it is lumber-core plywood instead of mdf...you should be able to tell...even though the rear edge is painted black! Veneered MDF will just have one layer of veneer on each side of it, but lumber core plywood will have TWO birch veneers on the inside, one birch and one (in your case) oak on the outside, and the core will be poplar lumber.