H/K 430 Cleaning Question

fini

Justin,

It's been a while since I tried it out, but as I recall, it made some loud, irregular scratchy fluctuating sounds from one of the channels. It was so loud, I was worried about blowing a speaker! I put my meter on the speaker terminals, and with no source, the needle was bouncing all over the place. The other channel is OK. Could be something simple, or something major, but it's beyond me and my interest, at this point. I would imagine there are plenty of useful parts in the unit. Sounds awful attractive, eh?

fini

----------------

On 7/3/2003 6:18:26 PM fini wrote:

Looks like it's headed for the landfill...----------------

I just recently revived a dead 430. There are some fuses on the inside that were blown. Looked like a power surge had done it in. Also, had a buddy show me a neat trick to replace the lights behind the slide rule dial. They are little lights that look just like fuses. We just soldered the leads of some kind of little lamp, (he's an electrical engineer, and made the selection at R Shack) to the metal end caps on the burned out fuse type light, and placed it back in the holders. worked great.

Dee

p.s. Fini, if you do decide to junk it for parts, I'd be interested. Hope you can get it happy, though.

This is from HDBR comments regarding the HK 430......

HDBR sorry- Opps! just re read the eariler posts and realized, my goof..........

have been in e-mail correspondence with a number of you folks who have had various problems with your recently purchased H/K 430 receivers. So far, with the exception of one purchaser (whose unit had some obvious water damage), these problems have cleared up with my recommendation to clean the switches and controls and with replacing of one or more fuses.

The subject here is fuse replacement. I suggest to go ahead and replace ALL of the fuses on these with new ones of the proper value as soon as you receive the unit. It seems that in many cases one or more of the fuses in the units when buyers received them SEEMED to be OK, but in actuality had fractures within their fine filaments that were causing problems of various kinds. I attribute this to rough handling in shipment, and rapid extreme temperature changes these had to go through this winter while being shipped. So, just for the hell of it, change out ALL the fuses in these when you get them. It is an inexpensive insurance against problems.

There are two fuses inside the unit found nearby the power transformers "under the hood", there are also three more fuses under the bottom plate of the unit, and, of course, the three fuses found on the rear of the unit, for a total of eight fuses. Replace all of these with the values listed beside the fuses(ensuring you use "fast-blow" fuses), and see if your problems "magically" disappear! Be sure to clean your fuse holders at the same time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------