H/K 430 Cleaning Question

fini

Two days ago I added a H/K 430 to my collection (couldn't resist at $35). It is a bit dirty, though. As those of you who own this model know, the cover has a textured finish, which I'm finding difficult to clean/restore. Has anyone else here had to deal with this, and had any success? I've tried a mild soap and water solution, and a wipe with naptha, and it still looks blotchy. Any helpful hints?

fini

Fini,

Try some of that "Comet bathroom cleaner"...it is a spray bottle cleanser that has citric acid in it...REMOVE THE COVER FROM THE RECEIVER...spray the cleanser on it...let it sit a FEW minutes...scrub it down with a small brush like you would use on hands...then rinse it off WELL with cold water ensuring you get all of that cleanser off...remember...that citric acid in the cleanser can cause the metal to rust so be sure to rinse it CLEAN! Repeat as necessary. Should work fine. I will be interested in your listening opinion of the H/K 430 with some heritage speakers, too!

Just because it's fun to look at pictures, here's the insides of my 430, before cleaning. Notice the rust on the rear transformer. Must have had some moisture through the ventilation holes.

fini

post-3580-13819246228228_thumb.jpg

Fini

I have to admit that I am puzzled about the obviously tongue in cheek responses to your question as far as I have been able to decipher you have rarely , (if ever) - made a less than serious response to anyone on this forum !!

I have 2 suggestions you might consider for cleaning that crap from your receiver :

1.) Finely shave about 2 pounds of pure magnesium onto/into the chassis - inside and out. Step 2. is to place that amp into a hyperoxygenated chamber and then introduce a spark into that space - ( probably a good idea to have an unloved assistant toss the switch

3.gif - just a thought )

2.) Paint any area to be cleaned with 99% Isopropal Alcohol for a few seconds and then wipe with a clean cloth - Not nearly as much fun but likely more survivable.

Yes, Doug, it is fun. I've done the same thing with fountain pens. You finish the hours of restoration, and proudly show the wife your handywork. I don't know if my experience is typical, but I love it when mine says, "Yeah, that's, uh, great..."

fini

• 2 weeks later...

Schmengee-folk (was that Stan and Josh?, from Lutonia or some-such?)

I just snagged a H/K 430 off eBay and it arrived today. What a bargin. At $50 this thing is way thing beats Denon's current givings in the under $500 range (all I have to compare). If I get around to it I'll post a review.

Thanks for the cleaning tips. The one I have is in pretty good shape but I will clean it up a bit.

Mace

Fini,

I noticed from your "guts" pic that the two fuses by the big capacitors (by the transformers) are rated at 250V and 2.5 A. On my HK430 the label says 250V 3 A. Mine also states 3 A for the back three fuses which screw out. Are yours also 3?

HDBR: any idea why the different fuses in different units?

Later,

Mace

Mace,

These receivers came in two versions. If/when you print out the service manual, you will see that. One version was for U.S. consumption, the other version was for international consumption, and was a multi-voltage model. This likely accounts for the different fuse types for the transformer area "under the hood". Either way...use the fuse type listed on the label in your particular unit. As far as I know, the rear panel fuses and the underneath fuses were labelled the same on both versions.

It is not uncommon at all to find quite a few of the international multi-voltage models here in the U.S., since many G.I.'s bought equipment while overseas and returned home with it over the years. My own H/K 900+ is one of these international multi-voltage units.

• 4 months later...