BOUGHT ONKYO NR6100

AirborneB

Need advice to make my system sound better. Bought a Onkyo NR6100 yesterday and thinking of returning it tomorrow for a Sony or Denon. What crossover would you recommend for:

Klipsch RB61 II

Klipsch RC 62

Klipsch R12SW.

Thanks

Easy there, tiger.

Most Sony's would be a huge downgrade, and depending on the Denon you're looking at, it wouldn't be much better.  Start with telling us what you don't like about it.

Next, your XO - I'd run Audessey first and see what it's feedback is.  I tend to run flat, but the mic setup is a good baseline.  Most recommendations are 80 Hz for the mains unless they're full range.

When I first set it up, I noticed that there was a bar type slide to increase or decrease the Treble, Vocal and Bass. Then I changed the mode from CD to Game. The sound was flat. So I tried to adjust the treble, vocal and bass and the vocal option changed from the blue slide bar to a grey adjustment that only goes from 0 to +5. I checked every setting and it never came back. So I called Onkyo and they seemed very confused. So we reset by holding power for 7 seconds and pulling the power cord. Same thing. He said, maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be. I lost confidence. I am trying new settings and  I have not tried the EQ. My 20yr old Harmon Kardon AVR 630 has a much better adjustment range and seems way louder and cleaner than this Receiver at less watts. I decided to give it one week to find a clean sound that is full. 

The manual is online:
https://assets.onkyo-av.com/product-manuals/SN29403926A_TX-NR6100_En_200616_web_2022-11-02-210645_cjuw.pdf?v=1667423205

You will need to set up the unit and EQ it to some degree.  It should have just as many "adjustment features" as your AVR 630.  

Now to find a pair of Klipsch Floor Speakers to move the RB 61’s to the rear. I was looking at the to 502s they are on sale at $370  on Crutchfield. But probably should get the floors first. Disabled Vet….money is tight. Trying to get best bang for the buck on a pair of floor stand speakers. I will even consider old models. Any suggestions?

The RF-62's are the match to your RC-62 and RB-61's.  Your best bet would be those, the RF-25, RP-260F, and RP-600F.

Make sure you don't look at the budget line (R-600F, I think they are?)

I found a pair of used RF82 II for $500. They look to be in like new condition. I asked how old they are and the reply was I have had them for a few years. Not sure when the model was last made. Is $500 fair or would you buy a new RP 5000 F for $600 new? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AirborneB said:

I found a pair of used RF82 II for $500. They look to be in like new condition. I asked how old they are and the reply was I have had them for a few years. Not sure when the model was last made. Is $500 fair or would you buy a new RP 5000 F for $600 new? 

I think you'd have a better value with the 82's versus the 5000's - especially with your setup.  Inspect them, make sure they're minty.  You could always try $450 and settle on the $500 too.