Vintage La Scala distortion

GabeS

I don't know if these diaphragms are compatible with the old K55V, I had a source that I will send you as a PM. 
For not even 200 USD you can buy the whole driver in the USA, as it is used today in the brand new LaScala, if you scroll down a bit in the link. But normally there is no need to buy a new driver. I would start with the capacitors and the rubber ring between the driver and the horn to get it sealed again.

https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/027035-atlas-ied-d-20gb-diaphragm-for-pd-5vh-and-pd-5vt

Edit: Sorry it seems that my source from 3 years ago does not any longer has the diaphragm. May be others are more helpful also concerning the rubber rings plus the quetiin if those diaphragm in the link above are compatible, or if even Klipsch sells them directly or @Deang can perhaps help.

You can actually cut these rubber seals yourself from a rubber mat of the same thickness. I did it successfully until I had original ones. These looked nicer but the positive effect was the same. The main thing is that the inside of the rubber ring is not in the way of the sound, therefore cut out the hole nice and wide. This measure is essential after 45 years. Here you can see my DIY seals, the black one, the red one is the original which was dried out and crumbled.

IMG_4541.png

IMG_4540.png

IMG_4539.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/13/2024 at 11:24 AM, wuzzzer said:

If the gaskets on the midrange drivers are original, they could also be contributing to what you’re hearing if they’re dried out.  Might as well replace them while you’re at it.

On 1/13/2024 at 12:07 PM, GabeS said:

Is there a good source to buy the diaphragm/gaskets?

I don't see them listed on the JEM website.

GS

Crites speakers sells replacement gaskets. This, is the most likely source of the distortion you're hearing. before you spend another cent, replace them.

• Like 3

@GabeS read my post about my experience with the distortion / lascala. Maybe you have the same problem like me. 

It is highly likely that you hear a thickening around the 100Hz-170Hz range. An issue where one claims it is inherent to the La Scala, and another insists it stems from other factors but definitely not the La Scala. Personally, I believe both play a role. Partly, it's the La Scala's nature to accentuate this range, and partly, it's influenced by factors like room acoustics (in my case, at least). I'm still figuring out how to address this. For instance, I've rotated my living room 90 degrees, positioning the speakers lengthwise, which seems to partially alleviate the issue but not entirely. The remaining part, with this setup, appears even more pronounced with this setup. The challenge is that once you become bothered by this resonance/thickening (or whatever you want to call it), you start hearing it more clearly over time. It's tricky; I genuinely love the speakers, but this is becoming quite bothersome. I'm curious if you recognize your issue in what I describe in my topic.

• Like 1

Can you name a specific song where you can clearly hear that resonance? If possible, provide the title along with the timestamp when the resonance is noticeable.

I'm very curious to know if I would hear exactly the same thing that is causing issues for me.