Klipsch RS3-11 K-106-K Strange tweeter tests at 6 ohmns but won't play sound

VAZ019

Hello All,  So I bought a pair of used RS3-ii speakers mainly for the design.   These have two K106-K tweeters 45 degree ish angle and a woofer in the center facing forward.   I bought a pair which one of the tweeter would not generate sound.  So I just went ahead and bought two additional used K-106-k divers.   So I would have a spare.   This is where it gets wierd.  Neither of the two speakers I bought will generate loud sound compared to what I would call the working driver.  I now have three K-106-K drivers that will not generate loud sound no matter what location they get installed in the pair of RS3-iII speakers I have.   So I'm checking the location also with the one good speaker.   Keep getting same result.  3 quiet speakers 1 that puts out loud sound.

I break out the ohm meter and they all test good at 5.9, 5.7.   Which I feel makes sense because they do produce sound.   But why not volume?  what are the chances of all 3 speakers having this issue.

any insight as to what the problem would be?   

Just to clarify, "loud" means nothing without knowing where you're using the speaker.

The RS-3's are surround speakers, they aren't necessarily designed for "loud."

Now, you mention that you've moved the K106's around - around where exactly?  You tested all three tweeters on one crossover, or you tested them across multiples?  Did you check the readings against the "good" speaker?

Loud means a level that is noticeably different without touching the volume knob.  So a simple speaker swap in the same driver location of one rs3-II.

The louder speaker tests the same as the other 3 speakers that I say are quieter.  This is wierd.  So all test 5.9 to 5.7.  Good/bad loud/quiet

Then because the rs3-II has two driver locations in one speaker.  I can take the loud speaker and move it to either location in this same speaker.  It will play at either location of what I call the loud level again without touching volume knob.  The three suspect speakers will not and will be quieter, without adjusting volume.

I can't see it being a crossover issue if the good speaker plays on either side at the same sound output.  Unless it has something with when two drivers are trying to run.

I would still test it in the other working speaker just to rule it out entirely.  Is it likely that you have three bad speakers?  Not really, but is it possible? Sure.

When I said testing the others, I meant also testing the other speaker altogether.  You want to do a comparison between the one system that's working against the one that isn't.  Does that one also test at 5.9 ohms?  

So tried the other speaker as you mentioned, swapping drivers I'm getting same result in the working unit.

These two drivers I bought are testing at 5.7 putting out less sound.  I used my phone to show the difference. With Woofer unplugged.  So only test speaker is running.

Ran the 2 replacements i bought see blue 10 secs, green 10 secs, compared to red 10 secs.  Without adjusting volume, there is the jump in volume.  To the ear its a big difference. 

Screenshot_20240117_211551_Sound Meter.jpg

Screenshot_20240117_211804_Sound Meter.jpg

That much I don't know.  I'm sure there are some other variables I might be missing.  The diaphragms could be different too, but I'm not sure that'd bring up a difference of 5 dB.  I'll have to yield to the input from other experts here.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may.......have an idea of why the tweeter is being "muffled."   A while back I bought the same speakers and encountered the same issue.  The gap in which the voice coil "floats" is filled with ferro-fluid to help cool it down.  When the liquid portion of the ferro-fluid dries out, the remaining "ferro" looks like microscopic iron filings.  That stuff gunks up the slot and can even prevent the coil from moving at all.  You still have good resistance reading because the voice coil is still there and intact.  Just as the liquid evaporates, the substance becomes more and more thick and movement preventative.