How much to pay for LaScalas

danbry39

Over morning coffee today, I was talking with a friend about our Klipsch speakers. My bedroom has a reference speaker setup and he has two dedicated two channel systems, both centered around horn speakers, one with Heresys and the othe with a brand I haven't heard of, but that he bought in the early 60's. In any regard, a coworker dropped in and said she too had Klipsch, loved them, but was going to sell them as she wanted something smaller. When we asked what they were, she said they're LaScalas, still unfinished, with gentle use and bought, if I recall, in the late 70's or early 80's. She is the original owner. She asked if I'd be interested in buying them. I said I'd have to ask my wife (who's reluctant to put anything that big in our living room). Anyway, after talking it over with my still reluctant wife, she might be willing to bend, especially if she's able to choose the color of stain that we'd finish them with. My question is what would be a good price for these speakers? Also, if anyone could give me a good idea of how much it would cost to get a nice preamp/amp combo that would compliment them. I'm really thinking I'll probably not buy them because of the ton of money I've already spent on toys this year, but, then again, I can remember the exact moment I first heard LaScalas and the viceral impact they had on me.

maybe a little more, if they're nice like that. One lady owner, never raced or wrecked. A lot of LaScala's have been rode hard and put away wet, if you get my drift.

Tom

Edit: Plus, you're saving $2-300 on shipping buying locally. opportunities like this don't come by very often. I bought a nice Scott 222C for $150, spent $70 on caps and resistors, it sounds absolutely gorgeous. like I said, chances like this are few and far between. I've actually never seen a pair of LS's in a residence.

LOL

I recall that your dear wife had recently given you the go-ahead on those PWK signed Khorns. That said the range on Lascalas is currently in the U$ 750 - 1700 range with the average being in the U$1000 - 1200 area.

If you can buy them anywhere up to that top end - Grab them - They keep going up ! 7.gif

I know that because I'm looking for a set of horns that I can afford!

I agree with the post above.

$700-$1.1k seems to be the ebay range depending on condition & finish.

I've seen black ones with lot's of gouges and scratches that seem to sell at the low end but of course they can be refinished to make a good value--assuming the audio components aren't beat.

I almost bought a birch laquer pair for $900 in high grade.

Some may be unfinished--others stained by the user which could require some refinishing work it the job wasn't done to your tastes.

There is a pair with Burma Teakwood finish on ebay now over $900. They look great but the shipping is over $450 (varies by location).

These look great!

Thanks everyone. 1.gif

Lynnm,

Yes, my wife did OK the Klipschhorns, but it was only after she saw the picture of those beauties and fell in love with the looks. That's why I have to say, "Boy, I bet you could make these pretty nice stained the way you want." The truth of the matter is that she could care less about the speakers, but loves making and/or beautifying furnature. She at first said "no way" when I told her the size of the speakers, but later approved if it would make me happy. I know she understands my hobby and all, but it does make me feel guilty.

And, as it is, another co-worker told me he has an old Scott tube unit in his attic. He told me it's been sitting there for years. He was thinking of throwing it out until I told him it was worth money. He rethought. I'll wait until next week and see what Sandy (the owner) says. If she says, $750, it's on. My Klipsch owner friend, Dave, looked at me after she left and said, "You're going to get them, aren't you?"

This is going to sound strange, but I kind of made a killing on one of my tech stocks this week. I think I made about 6-7 K profit on it the last three days alone, so I do have a little money to spend. By the way, I've lost a hell of a lot more than that on stocks the last couple of years. 1.gif

So, if she wants to be very nice to me, it's a go. We do get along really nicely as it is. Thanks for all your help. While the memory of first hearing the La Scalas has lingered for over 30 years, it's reading all your posts about your Heresys, Klipschhorns, La Scalas, etc. that has really whet my interest. I love my reference set up in my bedroom and it sounds great for two channel as well as HT, but a dedicated two channel system would be ultra sweet.

Good Grief,

I just showed my significant other pictures of La Scalas over at Ebay. She giggles, and said repeatedly, "You're joking right???" I said no, but she truly was convinced I was. She said, "Those are the ugliest speakers I've ever seen." Later, she added, "You cover them with a cloth, don't you?" Oh, crap...

What I think I'll do if the price is right is take my wife over to Sandy's place and have her look in person at the La Scalas. She might be pleasantly surprised and, if she listens, she might side in my favor.

It most certainly will look better, than some beat up lascala on e-bay, with a picture taken in real dim lighting. Why not save the image to your computer, and then she can dress it up with a photo / image program to simulate what it would look like stained to her preference ? If you don't write over the original file, you could compare several together.9.gif