Paradigm X30?

Canin2323

It is a subwoofer control unit that has the same controls as the upper level paradigm subs, but makes adjustments much more convenient as you don't have to monkey around with the back of the sub. It has three main contols: phase adjustment, crossover frequency and a sub level control (volume)

The X-30 was originally intended for the Paradigm reference series subwoofers (servo 15) which have only a passive amplifier built in... and is basically an active crossover (line level)... and like the previous post mentioned it also makes adjusting the sub easier... ;)

Check Paradigm info page at

http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/HighPassSWControlUnits/ControlUnit_Specs.htm

I have two Paradigm X30 boxes,well three if I find the one in my closet. LOL

Yes the X30 is an external crossover,with gain,phase(sub one)

You have two low level inputs,two outs and high pass at 50/80/120Hz(i never use the highpass)

I posted cheapo pics some time ago.

I never used any SVS crossover,so I cant answer here.

I have the X30 (line level crossover) and X20 (speaker level crossover). Both have. Both have two sub outputs. One output with variable phase control, the other output does not influence sub phase. This is very useful if you have twin subs and need to have different phasing to maximize bass quality.

I personally find the 0 or 180 degree phase switch that most subs have is inadequate. With my twin sub set-up I find one sub set at 0 degrees and the other set at about 35 degrees to be the best. If you buy a sub look for one with variable phase control like the SVS powered units, this gives the greatest flexability. I have the SVS Ultras which are passive and have no phase control so I use the X20 for phasing.

I find the only reliable way to phase one or more subs is with the test tone generator on my B&K preamp. The test tone generator provides tones in 2hz increments. Using a SLP meter I play tones from 20-110hz recording the SPL at each 2hz increment. This way I can see the peaks & nulls and adjust the phase accordingly (trial & error). I find with multi-subs you can get big peaks & nulls depending on the phasing. Generally you can find phase settings somewhere in the middle that help minimize the peaks and fill the nulls.

In my room installing a parametric equalizer between my X30 and sub amp made a huge difference. I have a +14dB room induced peak in a narrow band around 36hz that I was finally able to get rid of by notching it out with the EQ. If you have quality subs and the bass is boomy then it is likely due to one or more room induced peaks. In my case regardless of sub location the 36hz peak was always there. Once I notched out the peak using the EQ I was able to increase the subs volume control by a factor of two with full, smooth bass.

Doug C