Cracked Cone - Chorus IIs

BigSkyAF

Per the attached photo, the cone on one my Chorus IIs is cracked (must've happened in a recent move). Klipsch has the replacement driver, but it will cost me ($$). I have an offer from what sounds like a reputable vendor to re-cone it, but that sounds a little risky to me.

Anyone have any advice for how to press on? Are there places other than Klipsch where the driver might be available? How risky is re-coning?

Thanks!!

post-11533-1381924644684_thumb.jpg

There is no risk at all from reconing with the correct part. Klipsch will probably recone this passive radiator (or the active driver) for you reasonably. In fact, you can use plain tissue paper on both sides and Elmer's glue to repair the passive radiator yourself. You can use light, thin cloth as well. That will get you going until you can make a proper repair.

One thing to keep in mind when reconing a passive radiatior is that the mass of the passive radiator is tuned to the woofer and box. So, it needs to be done with a cone that will give the same compliance and mass. This is easy to do if original parts are available from the manufacturer, but might not be so easy if they aren't.

FWIW IMHO a good patch job should be enough. Another option is keeping an eye out for replacements on eBay. Thing like this show up from time to time if you are not in a hurry.