old la scala

klipsch kid

Welcome, new guy, to a league as different from softball as hardball is. Welcome to a league where dynamics, attack, decay, inner resolution, clarity, low distortion, realistic bass, clear mid-range, imaging, soundstage, ringing treble and amazingly low, but high quality, power requirements change all but the most common features of the game. Welcome to the show as only big buck, high-audiophiles know how to play it. Your equipment belongs to a line so classic that only a very few other models can make the same claim. They exhibit a truth so enduring that they remain practically unchanged since inception decades ago. Welcome to a league where the common rules do not apply. Welcome to the world of big old horns.

Forget what you learned in the little leagues. The standard rules do not apply to big old horns. But when you are ready to field some questions, feel free to step right up and take a swing. Go ahead and swing at anything. There are few young and wild pitchers here, but you will soon learn to duck their fusillades. Here you will find some of the wisest and most gentle players on the Net. They are very informative and dont serve many curve balls.

2.gif

If your bass bin drivers are original they will either be stamped with K-33(or K-33E) or K-43(the industrial woofer version)on the rear of the magnet structure...or they will have small round metal labels with the Klipsch logo attached to the same area of the rear of the magnets that have the same driver designation stamped on them.

hi HDBRbuilder

I think that i just got excuse my language (screwed)

on the back of the paper cone it says 4515341.

and on the back of the magnet it says 15588 and under that it says 57-8629 or 67-8629. it was kinda hard to make out the first digit. please help

thanks.

new la scala owner.

8.gif

Hi hdbr builder.

I'm the new guy.

I was thinking to refinish my new old 1978 la scalas because originally they were raw birch, but someone has apparently stained and laquerd them. I don't like the color. they have some minor chips in the wood and I wanted to refinish them in nice dark cherry color. the wood on these speakers is nice. it looks almost like it has some kind of burled wood. I would appreciate your advice before trying to refinish these. can you please give me your thoughts on where I should start and what I should or should not do.

here are some pics.

thanks.

.1.gif

post-11566-13819246451448_thumb.jpg

I don't know if it is just my puter, or what...but the resolution on your pics was realy bad...I couldn't tell anything about the speakers from the pics you posted. If y0ou want to refinish them, my suggestion is to get some scrap birch plywood and use it to cut out little replacements for the chips you are missing from your veneer, then glue these chips in place before doing anything else. Then sand the entire speaker down to raw wood...but you gotta be careful doing this to ensure you don't sand through the veneer. Then re-stain them the color you want and apply the kind of finish over the stain you like best. I prefer satin urethanes. be sure to remove ALL the drivers, horn lenses, crossovers and such before doing any of this refinishing...and store the parts safely out of the way while the project in in progress...especially don't do any sanding until the guts of the speakers have been removed and stored safely away!!