Stingray review Part II

JCturboT

After some break in time on the Stingray with the new tubes I figured I 'd post some thoughts.

As most of you know I purchased my Manley Stingray used as a dealer demo with about 400-500 hours on it.I have read nothing but good things regarding JJ Electronics EL84s so I purchased a complete set of 8 as well as 2 new 12AT7s input tubes from www.eurotubes.com (more on this later).

Well after about 50+ hours on the new tubes I really do like the JJs-just much wamer across the board and really a much sweeter top end with the Klipschorns.Where the Sovtek EL84s were brutal on poor recordings the JJ were, for lack of a better word-relaxed-much easier to listen to on the super revealing K-horns.

Now I really didn't notice much of a difference between the JJs and the Eis on the preamp side as I would say the Eis are a very good tube for this amplifier,probably why Manley runs them exclusively in the Stingray now.

With all this being said I have elected to sell the Stingray- not because of any shortcomings mind you, this is really one unique and VERY well made piece of equiptment.I bought it with the intention of replacing my Solid State Yamaha which I thought was un-fixable but to my surprise is back with me.Had my Yamaha been junk I wouldn't even think of letting this go, but with too much audio as of late something just has to go.

If anyone is interested on this board I am willing to sell it for what I paid for it -$1500.00.Don't forget this includes all the original tubes as well as 8 new JJs EL84s,2 new JJ 12AT7s, and, I figured while I was replacing those I would even replace the 6414 driver tubes direct from Manley. All these tubes cost me over $120.00 alone so I say this is a great deal indeed.

If anyone is interested please contact me at JCturboT@aol.com .

Jeff

Forget to mention-

This amp is in excellent condition,both the 24k gold faceplate as well as the Stainless chassis are without flaws.

Regarding the warranty-

I talked to Paul over at Manley and I was given the full factory 5 year warranty with myself being the first "original" owner.

I had asked about a transferrable warranty to the next owner but Paul stated it is not but they work with their customers on any repair work they might need.

Jeff

----------------

On 2/8/2003 2:37:49 PM deang wrote:

Don't worry Jeff -- I will spare you the hell I put you through before by NOT offering to buy this amp.
9.gif

What did you mean by, "first original owner"? Haven't these been around for awhile?
----------------

Thanks Dean for the offer not to buy the Stingray-I really appreciate that2.gif

What I meant by the comment "first original owner" was that even though it was a dealer demo Manley gave me the full five year warranty.

Yes, these have been around for a couple of years.Mine was built in August 2000.

Jeff

Dean,

The answer is yes and no.There are certain aspects I like better with each amp but in the end I favor the SS Yamaha with my Klipschorns.

The Stingray is one fine amplifier-sweet tube midrange with the punch of SS.If I didn't have my Yamaha it wouldn't be going anywhere.

People might find this odd but no stranger than yourself liking your RF7s better than your new Cornwalls-just a personal preference and we're all entitled to that. This is something that is often lost in discussions in this Forum.

Craig,

If you change your underwear as often as I change my amps I pity you family members 9.gif.

I have had my Yamaha M-85 since new (1987) so 16 years and going strong.

I just hear so many positive things from members of this Forum and the audio world about different components and the only way to know for sure is to try them out for yourself,this is exactly what I have be doing for the last couple of months.

Jeff