Reference vs. Synergy

Iceman

I can't decide between the reference series RF3-II, and the synergy SF-2 speakers. I have 100 watts of clean power on 6 channels, and I am wondering which would sound better. Why? Which speakers would play louder? If the RF3-II's can hold 150 Watts RMS, does that mean they require more power? Please be descriptive. Thank you very much for your time

I don't know what the cost difference between the two is but unless it is a bunch, I'd go for the RF3II hands down.

The reasons?

A - It's two db higher rated rated sensitivity. Which means that what the Synergy can do with 100 watts, the Reference can do with about 67.

B - It uses a bigger horn, which means it can (and does) cross over to it at a lower frequency.

C - Higher quality woofers.

D - Look at the weights of the two speakers - the RF is MUCH heavier, and since the size of the speakers is so similar, the weight must be in those better woofers, and in a better built cabinet.

E - The RF has those "oh so cool" copper colored drivers! ha 10.gif

No comparison in the sound. The informal listening sessions that I have over the years at my local dealer confirm the differences between the two series. With the Synergy line, there is not much to recommend them as audiophile quality loudspeakers versus other comparable ones. The problems they exhibit are endemic to that level of audio performance. Loudspeakers at that level are thin, lean, congested and struggling. The Reference line is competent enough to overcome those problems.

With the Reference line, if you like the clear and crisp rendition of drums, piano, wind instruments and cymbals, they are much better performers for the money. They are good enough that you may never upgrade only continue to add to the HT system. If you search our posts for previous questions about Synergy models, you will see that we may recommend an upgrade to the Reference series. Once a listener has the Reference series though, and still wants to improve their movie and music reproduction systems, then our suggestions turn from new loudspeaker recommendations to improvement in front-end electronics. The Reference loudspeakers are no suspect as a weak link.

2.gif

the reference speaker is a more refined sounding and efficient speaker you will need a less powerful amplifier to drive it and it will sound clearer and smoother than the synergy. if budget is not an issue the reference series is better in every aspect than the synergy. what electronics will you use? regards, tony

I will be using a Kenwood VR 6070, which is rated at 100Wx6 @ 8ohms. It retails for around $550, so I think it is a good buy. However, I will not be using any of the other four channels until I can afford more speakers. This is all for my dorm room, so space limits me a little too. I also will be listening to music most of the time anyway, so theater I will save for later. I am also going to accompany these speakers with a SVS PCi-Plus 25-31(if that's right, it's the small sized powerful one). Do you have any suggestions on a better reciever possibly? Any recommendations or comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time

Iceman,

I have a friend that has this receiver, he upgraded from a Sony STR after I debated with him for hours. His Sony did not sound that nice at all and upgrading to the Kenwood made his older Sony speakers sound a little better. (I will work on him to buy Klipsch later, one paycheck at a time)

The receiver is alright, I didn't see 7.1 capabilities and there wasn't an on-screen menu, but I only played with it for a while. If this model is going in your dorm room and home theater will be later, this is not a concern.

The remote is not my friend, but I didn't spend a lot of time with this either. It is a learning remote and I am sure with some time you can get it to do just about anything you want. I have a Yamaha receiver with a very capable remote, learning also, but I bought the Sony RM-AV3000 all in one remote and I am happy as can be.

I do like the looks of the Kenwood receiver and have always been happy with the kenwood products, mostly lower-mid end car decks. For the money I don't think you are making a bad investment, definitly better than most 300-500 THX receivers out there. You are paying a premium for the THX certification and can probably get more bang for the buck with a non-THX unit. Maybe Denon, Yamaha, or the H-K's.

If you search this forum for receiver discussions, you will find that this crowd likes value packed Outlaw (sold over the Net), Denon (very highly rated) and old? Harmon-Kardon (although this recommendation is relatively new) with Klipschs super sensitive horns. This is very important. Klipsch horns do not sound great with most off the shelf receivers. Personally I would be very tempted by any Scott integrated tube amplifier that NOS440 could overhaul for me, because HORNS LOVE TUBES.2.gif

Ice,

I have the VR 6070 alongwith Klipsch RP3 mains, RC3II center and Quintet (planning to upgrade) surrounds. The receiver does a very good job in both music and HT. I really like the CSII listening mode - it has some nice settings that you can tweak. With the high sensitivity of the reference series, you will get very clean and powerful sound. If you search online, you can get great deals for around 420-450$. For that price, this receiver offers a lot.

Also, there's a very helpful forum going on at http://www.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/624.html

Lots of info there. But I daresay, nothing when compared to Klipsch's forums!

All the best.

-kpq

ICEMAN sorry about the spam but... Have you bought yet?

If not, I have the balance of a Synergy system {SF-2 / SC-1 / SS-1} in MINT condition, bought 15 months ago from an authorized dealer. The best web price that I have found for this combo is about $765.00 + freight (which could be costly since S&H is a profit center for most E-tailers). Some web sellers may do better by a few more dollars off MSRP but they want and in some cases demand that you also buy a sub to get the special "package deal" discount. However at these prices you do not get the Klipsch warranty since they are not authorized dealers.

My price is $650.00 for the combo above + whatever freight and insurance (COD is $7.00 per box) good old UPS charges which you can verify at www.ups.com.

I can be contacted at mam165@comcast.net (home), mmiles@icrinc.net (office) or you can call my office at 800.332.3454.

Again to all I applogize about the spamming here. I assume this is not bad forum practice since no other members or moderators have contacted me directly to complain.

Regards,

Mike