Are today's DVD players good for CD music?

Bulldawg

In my case, I am using a CD player AND a DVD player. The CD player is a megachanger, 'cause I'm more into the convenience of it, I guess, than the critical listening. (However, I have put a Rega Planet on my list of upgrades1.gif.)

I believe if you get a single unit for both CD and DVD, you ought to find one with dual lasers, as the type/angle/whatever should be different for ideal pickup between the 2 different formats.

DD

That depends on what kind of player you buy. If you buy a $200 DVD player you probably have a CD player that is comparable to a $100 unit. If you buy a $1000 DVD player, it should be much better but not as good as a $1000 CD player. I have a nice Marantz special edition player that I use for music, because my DVD player is a cheap unit.

None of this takes into effect DVD audio and SACD's

I too have a CD Changer (for convenience) and a separate DVD. The CD changer is older and plan to replace it with a DVD changer when one is available that plays both DVD Audio and SACD. The DVD player is a few months old (Panasonic DVP-91) plays multiple formats including DVD-A but not SACD. As more and more HD Audio becomes available in both formats the need for a multiformat changer grows but I will always keep a dedicated higher quality DVD for Video. Rexx

More expensive DVD players work well with CD's. All the DVD players I audition above the $800 dollar mark ($500 US) work really well as CD players. However I find that dedicated CD players still work better for CD's.

I used my DVD player, a Denon DVD-1600, for playing CD's for a few months. And it sounds great. It has a nice full sound, with a little bit of warmth in the midbass area. But after awhile, the brightness of the Denon really started to annoy me. So I bought a Sony 222ES SACD changer. My CD's now sound a bit better. It has a full sound, it's more detailed than the Denon, and it's not as bright. I can now listen to my CD's a little louder than before and not get fatigued. 1.gif

I'm wondering if the warm Rega Planet would still be preferred for CDs with Klipsch than the sub $1k mult-format DVDs? I'd like to have one player and I've been looking at the $1k products coming out this year that have both DVD-A & SACD. Of course I want it all: great picture; Rega-like CD playback; and both high rez formats.

Will the Rega still be needed?

CD's on my Cornwalls w/my <$200 Toshiba DVD player are pretty bright and have a detailed high-end with a strong emphasis on the sounds coming out of the tweeter..."tat, tat, tat" go the cymbols. Tori Amos is a little harsh, too.