Anyone had experience with Sophia amps?

markw

I first read about this amp on the net a few months ago. It seemed interesting. I thought of asking for some loon to give it a go but moved on to other things. Sophia has been importing tubes for a while and now have a new line of amps. This is their cheapest offering and might be fun to play with. Although it is approaching other amps in the used bracket that are more tried and true, I think it might be a neat first amp out of curiosity alone. The hype is there with some happy campers.

I think they ran it at the last CES Winter Show but besides that, I doubt many have heard it. Surely, no one in here owns one. You can be the first.

kh

That is a nifty looking little amp. A couple of quibbles however. They call it The Baby S.E.T. amp but describe it as being a push pull amp running in class A. I have no issue with running push - pull but just be aware that it is not a SET amp.

I have never heard of the O/P tube it uses so if you do go for it it might be a good idea to buy an extra sert of tubes to go with it.

Before buying you might want to look at other tube powered amps at that same price point including amps from Antique Sound Lab and Jolida among others. Antique Sound Lab builds the MGi15DT which gives the option of either SET or Tetrode operation. Tom Brennan of this board had one for sale last week for $350.00 - If it is still available it could be a heck of a buy.

What a pretty amp, and so many reasons it could, and should work well. I've had excellent success with the pp approach. Some recent conversations lead me to believe my experiences have been better than most .. maybe Sophia has done a good job. Even if there is a quirk or two, a tweak or two (like interstage Jensen caps may complete the picture. You have to start somewhere.

leok