JBL C50

fini

Does anyone here know anything about these speakers (also known as "Olympus")? I may have the opportunity to purchase a pair, and I understand they're fairly valuable. Has anyone heard them? I've done a bit of online searching...

fini

They are GREAT speakers.

My father owns a pair and they sound great.

Please check if they are 2 way (S7R components) or 3 way (S8R).

3 way should have the famous JBL 375 horn midrange, considered by many(including myself), as the Best midrange horn ever.

You should grab them in any case since they sound much better than the Khorns.

If they are 2 way,they should have the le85 mid horn which is nice and you can add the N7000 crossover and 075 tweeter,and turn it into a 3 way (the 077 tweeters can be used as well and sound better than the 075's).

Guy,

I took a look at them. They are not C50's as advertised. They're D50's (I believe, based on the envelope attached to the rear). They seem to be the same size as the C50's, but w/o the passive radiator. I found no indication of what drivers it used. There is a round ~8" cloth-covered area (a port?) on the motorboard. I was real short on time (as it was, I was 45 minutes late picking up the kids!), but I'm home now, and can do a little research. Thanks for the tips!

Oh, they were asking $1500 each!

fini

Guy,

Thanks for the link! The ones I'm looking at are not studio monitors. They're definitely in the Olympus enclosures. In a thread I started at the Lansing Heritage site, someone suggested they're an early version, thus no PR. I do believe they're the 2-ways, probably not with the 375's. I'm sure they still sound fantastic, but you're right about the value. I'm debating making an offer, not sure how much (any advice?). I guess I should try to peek inside.

fini

I posted questions about these speakers in the Lansing Forum, and lo and behold, someone else who had been at that estate sale replied! Here's the thread.

I showed a downloaded photo of the speakers to my wife. She commented, "Oh, they look nice!" (At this point, I thought I had a chance.) I replied, "So, do you like them better than the Cornwalls?" She: "No." Me: "So, you prefer the Cornwalls?" She: "I don't like to have big speakers in the house. That's your thing."

They would have been a good Valentine's present for ME!

fini

I posted questions about these speakers in the Lansing Forum, and lo and behold, someone else who had been at that estate sale replied! Here's the thread.

I showed a downloaded photo of the speakers to my wife. She commented, "Oh, they look nice!" (At this point, I thought I had a chance.) I replied, "So, do you like them better than the Cornwalls?" She: "No." Me: "So, you prefer the Cornwalls?" She: "I don't like to have big speakers in the house. That's your thing."

They would have been a good Valentine's present for ME!

fini