Where do I get thin fiberglass for the inside of a pair of Chorus speakers

Mike16w

I have seen pictures on this forum where people have lines the inside of their Klipsch speakers with 1/2" fiberglass (?) batting. I can not find any of this material. I have checked the speaker building websights but no luck. Where do you get this material and does it help? I have a pair of Chorus II that I am trying to tweek.

Thanks

At Home Depot all the fiberglass insulation is encased in plastic and is thicker than R-11. I found the old style R-11 at Yardbirds in Santa Rosa, CA. It is made for certain remodelling situations where only this old style will fit. Fortunately there still is a company making this older style insulation. I stapled it paper side down on the inside of the cabinets.

C&S

Thanks for the advise. Did you hear any difference once you installed the insulation? Did you have any foam or insullation in there before installing the new sheets? Did you remove it? Also, do you remember who made the insulation? I may be able to hunt down a distributer in my area.

Thanks

You aren't really going to gain anything from applying a thin layer of insulation to the interior of your Chorus II cabinets. The Chorus II uses a passive radiator (drone) to extend the low end bass. Adding fiberglass, dacron, or cotton batting to the interior of the cabinet will cause the internal sound waves to reflect slower fooling the woofer into thinking it is in a larger cabinet which is not a good thing when it was acoustically design to be coupled to the passive radiator with a specific set of internal dimensions (acoustic tuning). Your idea would work in a sealed enclosure with no passive radiator (drone). You might just end up muffling the bass response. If your objective is to dampen the internal cabinet walls to deaden them I would use Dynamat or other similar material. However the Chorus II enclosure is pretty solid an does not really require extra dampening. However, anything you add to the internal walls of the cabinet is robbing you of the original internal volume required for optimal performance. If you are dead set on improving something look to internal wiring or binding post or capacitor and coil upgrades. Even these changes could possibly lead to negative results. You must understand the R&D, testing, and evaluating that go into a product before it is introduced to the market. Your best bet is to sit back, toss in a CD, DVD, or record album have a cold beverage in hand and just enjoy. If the Klipsch engineers thought the cabinet would have benefitted from additional batting they would have done it. 1.gif

Thanks for the information and you are probably right. I had also read that installing a round rod between the side panels would help stiffin up the case and improve the sound. I did that this last weekend and it did help. I may leave well enough alone regarding the fiberglass. Thanks again.