Jolida Amp--Can I get by with 102?

MBM135

After much lamenting over posts on this board I am considering a foray into the tube world. Actually Klipsch should establish a "Tube Forum". Ha! I am leaning towards the Jolida integrated amps--they appear to be closer to my price range. Also seem to be super easy for a non-tube guy like me to "plug and play". I was considering Rotel SS seperates (possibly used) but everyone seems to think "tube amps are the greatest thing ever" and even the mid-level Jolida models are about what I would expect to pay for good Rotel SS amp/pre-amp stuff.

Question is how much amp do I need? Room is not huge but not small either--about 14 x 19 feet. Will drive Forte IIs--really efficient. I like a wide variety of music at various volumes--anything from soft jazz to Creed at party levels. I don't want a weak amp but don't want to overspend either.

Can I get by with the 102B? Suggested retail of $580 puts it in my price range even brand new...or do I need to bump it up to the 502 or higher? Used is preferred but I often find eBay audio stuff sells way too high.

Any idea why they don't make a remote control for these things--biggest drawback in my opinion?

I have seen losts of positive reviews on Jolida here and elsewhere. Seems like a good entry level solution. If I dont like it, or can't tell a difference, I can always go back to the convenience of solid state. I was also wondering how much it costs to buy replacement or upgraded tubes?

Any advice is always appreciated.

Mike

10.gif

jolida_102b.jpg

I think the Jolida 102B is a neat little amp. The late John Wyckoff of Hammer Dynamics speaker fame, did a great write up of the little Jolida 102B via Enjoy the Music.com that is pretty accurate. Although I would probably ultimately pick an EICO HF-81 over the 102B for the excellent transformers and tube rectification, this amp strikes me as a great more modern solution if you want to stick with the Jolida line. As for any of the Jolida products, I think USED is a far better bargain than new. I surely wouldnt buy any of their more pricey products new as they are plentiful on Audiogon and ebay. I would probably opt for the 302A/B if going between the 502 and 302. Another positive of the Jolida is the fixed bias adjustment which takes a very short time to master. On the most of the Jolida line, it is via test points on the top (some have it on bottom). With a voltmeter, it takes only a few minutes to do. I taught my old girlfriend to bias a 302 and she now does it once a month. She loves her amp. I have another first time tube user friend in NYC that bought an NAD CDP, Jolida 302B, and some EPOS ES-12 speakers. She loves it and has even gotten into tube rolling a bit. She graduated from Duke and NOT ONE of here classmates had ever SEEN a tube amp!

With the Jolida, there are upgrades to the volume pot, bypass of the balance, HEXFREDs in the rectification, more filtering, and better coupling caps. These arent necessary to enjoy the amps but many have gone this route with documentation and posts about it (see Tube Asylum).

I have not heard the Forte II but think a variety of options are open.

kh

I'm using a beautiful Jolida 202A with my Fortes.

Sounds fantastic.

Listening to it right now. :)

I've spent time with it hooked to my Forte IIs, Quartets, RF7s, Paradigm Monitor 9s, B&W DM-110s, and Pioneer Coaxials.

Of course, getting the right compliment of tubes to produce the desired sound was the key in my situation.

The complaints I have are the lack of a phono stage and a volume pot that could have been better.

Also, it took me awile to get used to the lack of punchy bass, which was overly abundant in my SS gear.

All in all, it's a decent little 40 watt per channel integrated.

A real good starter amp.

Mobile Homeless once told me that it's not the end all amp, but rather a decent amp for one to get their feet wet with.

I completely agree.

Enjoy your search.

Regards,

John.

Thanks for the input. I have several options to work with here. Time to start setting aside some cash for the impending purchase. I do like the look and extra power of the ASL unit.

I'll give these tubes a try in the next couple months and see how it goes.

MM

Check my many posts on ASL products. I have questions concerning their build, even in comparison to the Jolida. A major client of mine opted to not care the line because of build problems with three out of the samples he had. I still would take other options over the ASL low cost PP. Then again, others disagree.

kh

ps- The Jolida is not that ugly in person.

Unsettling information. I wasn't aware of it. How did I miss your posts about the negative reports? I know you're not to thrilled with the Chinese amps, but I've never heard you outright diss them before. Most seem to be happy with them. OTOH, when I was considering a Jolida, I went to the Asylum Archives and was run over with posts regarding reliability problems. Of course, most don't post if everything is going well.

Buying a restored Scott from Craig would certainly be a good option. They take a licking and keep on ticking, and mine is doing rather well.

Strange. There are far, far more positive posts concerning the Jolida 302 and the mods than negative in the Asylum. I mean, by a 10-1 ratio. What search caused you to be over run with negative comments on the Jolida? I have been in the Asylum far longer than the Klipsch Forum and was not aware of the huge problem. I do know the 502 has had more problems than the 302. But in my own experience, I have been around 3 Jolida 302 amps at length and all of them are still going strong with no service calls needed. Ironically enough, all are now owned by females, this being their first tube amp. And all are totally into tube amps after their experience each now familiar with biasing and tube rolling. Indeed, I just got an email from my NYC friend asking for opinions on IC cables.... In other words, there is no cure...heh.

I think I have posted these comments concerning the ASL five or six times in here. At least. On the other hand, many love the ASL amps. I just know that I was going to do a MAJOR website for ASL and my client was all gun ho. The deal fell through after major problems my client didnt feel like dealing with on a warranty basis.

kh