Front Effects--Information Please

Pathos

I have read many posts that refer to front effects. Also seeing pictures of some of the Forum members setups that include front effects. I guess I don't understand what the front effects are or how to setup my system to get them.

Can someone help me out a little here? I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1000 and don't see any thing in the manual or on the back inputs/outputs that would lead me to beleive I have this capability. I can have two sets of main speakers A & B. Would I use my B speakers as "front Effects"?

Do I need to process the audiosignal differently? Meaning currently I can do a 5.1 setup or if I connect a rear center channel I can have a 6.1 setup. What is a system with front effects? 7.1 or 8.1?

Help!!!!!

5-channel receiver providing finest performance and processing available for music and video sound. 5 channels are: L/R Main, Front Ctr, L/R Rear Effects. It has a pre-out for Rear Center to deliver the newest 6-channel formats Dolby Digital Matrix 6.1 and DTS ES. Features Yamaha's Digital Sound Field Processing, Cinema DSP, Tri-Field Processing, Dolby Surround Pro Logic, Dolby Digital processing, Digital ToP-ART design for signal integrity, is compatible with Panja and Crestron for easy set-up.

That's from the Yamaha site.

You will not achieve front effects since your machine is not capable of doing so. But for a brief explaination it's just for fill/ambience etc. It's a mono signal sent to 2 speakers (Like Dolby Surround) which are in most cases small bookshelves for the exception of HornEd's rig!

For the rear center you have a pre out for that which is labled rear center. But it beats me how you'ed get that figure a mono amp and out of that would be the rear center.

Hope this helps

Some Yamaha sound processors support front effects speakers and provide an altered (timed delayed...) output to simulate different sound stages and movie environments. I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 and really enjoy the addition of the front effects speakers. It's something that needs to be listened to in order to really appreciate; it's kinda like adding another dimension to the soundscape. I use Klipsch Quintets, which seem to work for me (right now).