Speaker wire basics.

boomac

Hello,

Does the sound quality change/suffer with the addition of wire connecters? I assume that a wire directly from the receiver to the speaker is optimal, (not sure) but is the sound effected if say the wire is terminated in a wall plate and then attached through a connection to a pigtail wire to the speaker? This assumes that quality (gold) connecters are used. Would appreciate any feedback. I'm in the wire running stage currently.

Thanks,

Theoretically, it would. Any poor contact or corrosion will increase resistance and maybe capacitance at a joint. However, practically, a little care getting a good crimp or solder joint will make a good connection and will not limit your sound.

The sound quality can change slightly with loudspeaker cable connectors. Articles seem to suggest that spade connections are better than other types. This may be due to the increased surface area of the connector. It does seem silly to have a thick loudspeaker cable and a tiny connection. The sound is affected by the more connections and junctions that you have. Straight to the loudspeaker is the best, though this is not always possible.

Sound Advice or Radio Shack Gold connectors make only a little difference for me, depending more on the qualities of the cable than the connectors. Still, when buy, I buy gold. The thickness and sturdiness of the connector does make a difference in the long run. It is a nuisance to replace loose connectors. The cleanness and tightness of the connection also makes a big difference. This was noticeable with Nelson Passs high current super-amplifier, but not really the flea-powered Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours.

2.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I pulled out over 150 ft of wire the other night. Last night I re-wired and made sure to leave enough to connect at the source. I may never be able to tell the difference but now is the time to get it right. Sound board & dry wall go in this weekend. I'll find use for the down wires somewhere else.