"Bright????"

jkholt

"bright" refers to the amount and particular overtones present in a particular pitch....

when discussing speakers, the term "bright" means that a certain speaker reproduces more of those overtones than another "darker" speaker....

this is especially obvious in the midrange and higher frequencies...

klipsch speakers (as well as other speakers with horns) tend to be very revealing of source material....as well as any weak links in your system...

a speaker that is "darker" in presentation can cover up faults in the chain of reproduction....

as a semi-professional musician, former music educator, and distributor of professional audio equipment i really prefer the accuracy of a good horn speaker...i have klipsch KLF-30's as my mains at home and i really enjoy the sound of the Electrovoice SX-300 at work.

generally when people say a speaker is "too bright" they are making a negative comment..

use your ears....take a recording that you know well and go and listen to the klipsch reference series...listen critically and you will probably hear things in your recordings that you may never had heard before...

buy the speakers that sound best to you....

russ

You are on a roll so let the definitions continue. Where there's interest in one term there is interest in the others:

* warm

* lush

* laid-back

* forward

* tight bass

* punch

* airiness

* sweet

* big live sound

* dead

* harsh

* etc.

It would be very interesting to see if some sort of a segmentation could be charted...brands/models of neutral speakers, brighter speakers, warm speakers or what ever way one would want to group them.

The goal of segmentation is to show which brands/models address similar customer needs/tastes. One could sample representatives from different segments to get a feel for their tastes. They could then seek out speakers that target their tastes.

This might be helpful for those reading about brands that are hard to audition.

----------------

On 2/19/2003 1:46:02 AM kjohnsonhp wrote:

* warm

* lush

* laid-back

* forward

* tight bass

* punch

* airiness

* sweet

* big live sound

* dead

* harsh

* etc.

----------------

warm- balanced mids/lows perhaps a bit rich in the low mid range

lush-rich, full, well balanced tonality without harsh highs, perhaps slightly pronounced mid range

laid back-not in your face, soft highs, with perhaps less intense dynamics.

foward-large sound stage, projects sound right at the listener. strong dynamics.

tight bass-fast attack made by the cone. doesnt resonate inside the enclosure. doesnt have any "humps" in the frequency response

punch-strong in the upper bass region, with tight bass.

airiness-i'm not entirely sure, but i believe that it refers to the transparency and clearness of the highs.

sweet-icecream.

big live sound- well, BIG sound stage, very strong dynamics, wide frequency response, ability to sustain a "comfortable" 110DB (average volume of a rock concert at listening distance) without breaking up. (Klipsch)

dead-lack of highs, lack of midrange definition, muddy/boomy bass

harsh-smiliar to bright, except with distorted or extreamly over pronouced highs that grate on the ears.

--------------------------

i'm sure someone could fix up my list, and add some more of thier own