45 SET vs 46 SET

A while ago, I was able to acquire a 45 SET from someone. To be precise, it's the Welbourne DRD45, but I never really gave it a fair chance. I quickly went back to my DIY 300B SET or my Melody 2A3 PP. However, for the past two weeks, I've reconnected the 45 SET to my AL5, and I'm genuinely amazed by how good it sounds. Maybe everything is falling into place now that I've also addressed my room acoustics, I have no idea... but what an incredible match with the speakers this is. The sound is very realistic, the imaging is excellent, it sounds open and fresh, dynamic with more detail, and especially the vocals have gained a kind of magical realistic glow. This is the best amp for me so far, and it makes me want more.

I read that many people who appreciate the 45 tube find the 46 to sound even better than the 45. Are there any Klipsch enthusiasts who have experience with the 45 vs. 46 SET? And is it true that you can use the 46 tube in a 45 SET with an adapter?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I collect old radios and many have type45, 47 and my EH Scott All Wave 23 has four 2A3s in push pull. Thirty watts @ 5% distortion before I modified the circuit and got it down to 1%. The Philco model 90 cathedral has push pull 45s. The Radiola 60 has a mighty 71a for a staggering .79 watts. That was big stuff back in 1926.

• Like 1