Finally did it ~ Elite 49txi and 47ai

drptpcpe

Well after a few weeks of listening, asking and reviewing, I picked up the 47ai dvd and ordered the 49txi. I considered Sunfire(too many issues), Anthem,(the local dealer never has one in stock, and $6k is too much to spend unheard)Anthem has a stingent ridiculous policy that you cannot purchase out of your area, or no warranty and the selling dealer gets dropped. This of course probably just lost them my business.(as if they would care)B&K ref50 and the 200.7 amp (which was too warm for me, seemed to lose detail)Rotel 1066 (No current H/T modes,even if you owners like the 2 channel, it IS behind in the H/T game)Outlaw 950(too UGLY and not the highest grade of components) So I decided on the Pioneer with ALL the features and best quality components. Also I tried the Krell Showcase and Amp.( good but not great in H/T). Now some will agree and some will rush to protect the integrity of their purchases and say I am crazy, but only the sound quality is subjective, the rest is 'the way it is'.

So now I ask, no matter what the name on any specific product, as long as the build quality is good, and the manufacturer uses high grade components, with lots of great features, how can you go wrong?

I do recommend that anybody making a major purchase, audition as many brands as possible and weigh the costs vs. features and need (desires). Although I would still like the Anthem, I do not believe it would sound $4k better to me.I hope the 49txi does as good a job on my RF5's as it appeared to do on the RF7's.

andy

Andy, Congrats!!!!! I am sure you will be very disappointed in your purchase. Disappointed that you took so long to decide.LOL3.gif

Six months prior to my 49txi purchase I bought Onkyo DS-797. I was very disappointed in the Onkyo. Having heard Pioneeer Elite as far back as 12 years ago I decided to make the plunge.

Having made the $4000 purchase I was not let down by the elite.

My friends thought I was a bit crazy for spending so much money on A/V stuff.

Now I can't get them out of my HT.

You made a great decision and will be extremely happy with it.

Oh yeah don't make the same $40 dollar mistake I did. The 47ai comes with a firewire cable.

Welcome you to the wonderful world of the Elite, send me an email with your address and I will send you the Fleetwood Mac Rumors SACD.

scott

----------------

On 2/23/2003 12:46:49 PM bruinsrme wrote:

Strabo,

I believe DR wnet with the Pioneer 49txi receiver.

NICE!!!!!!

----------------

Yeah, I got that.

I was just curious what amp he was looking at with that anthem at $6k. Or, if it was the dealer not willing to haggle, but that still seems high.

Picked mine up for a little more than 1/2 that for the Pre and Amp from an actual store. So $6k? Holy cow!

Strabo,

I ran into a similar situation in Boston. whatever the MSRP was - that's the price (at more than 1 store). I can't remember the brand but the dealer said I can order it with w 20% non-refundable deposit. so they would order it for the audition and if I liked it it was mine, (non-returnable) if not they kept my 20%. Other brands required stores to order so many pieces or the store pays a premium which kills any room for haggling.

Sometimes people encounter good deals other times we are at the mecry of shops carrying the hi-end gear in the high rent district.

I had one salesman tell me if I am not spending at least 50k don't waste his time. at least he was nice enough to validate parking.

Scott

I would have a hard time plunking down that kinda money without hearing too. Only thing I've purchased without hearing it was my Creek, and that was a nail biter.

----------------

On 2/23/2003 3:43:54 PM bruinsrme wrote:

I had one salesman tell me if I am not spending at least 50k don't waste his time. at least he was nice enough to validate parking.

----------------

Crazy how these salesmen think.

I went into the office to catch up on a couple things last Saturday. From there I went listening dressed in jeans, t-shirt and baseball cap. First place I stopped I wanted to try out the new Marantz SACD/DVD-A player and they didn't give me much time. After a few minutes of BS I was given free range of the Marantz feeding the Anthem stuff and Mac speakers.

The next stop, to check out the AR-PH3 phono stage, I finally just left never even hearing it. Thought about adjusting the volume on the Mac's just to see how bright those tubes would get before someone showed up11.gif.

Makes you wonder if they only get commissions on the Ferrari stuff.

I have to admit I am not the best consumer. usually on fridays I play ice hockey at noon. anyonme that knows hockey knows how nasty 2 years old equipment is. well one particular sales man at a Tw pissed me off by showing me the cheap stuff. after hockey stinking all to you know what I paid that store a visit or 5.

while I was in there I would talk to people and tell them abnout on-line specials and they too were offended my the odor they would leave. well I got my TV at a very good price, with a don't come back here anymore.

Actually I could get 11% off. Anthem AVM20 retail is $3600. MCA50 is $2k. MCA20 is $1k. Equals 7 channels balanced. Why buy the Balanced pre without the balanced amp. Heck, if you are gonna spend the money, just do it all. Now I paid $2174 for my 49txi. Not to rain on anyones parade but I didn't think the Anthem would sound $4k better. Nothing would to ME.

btw, I got my Elite yesterday. The MCACC is fantastic. It took care of most of the room issues I was having. I did tone testing with my SPL meter before and after, and it really smoothed out the music. I will be playing much this week. Let you know.

Bruinsrme.

thanks for the CD.2.gif

Hey drptp,

49TXi for $2174? Wow. May I ask where you got that deal? If it was on the net, what was the website? I should be getting my tax money shortly and I'm way ready to retire my old Yamaha DSP-A1000 Pro-Logic. My expensive RS-7 surrounds are pretty much wasted with it.

I've been dreaming about the B&K 505 but with the money I could save with the TXi, I could get the SVS 20-39 I desire right away. I'm more than ready to junk my old 70 watt Yamaha sub also.

1.gif

Thanks bruinsrme, I'll check it out. The only website I've checked so far was elegantaudiovideo.com They want $2995 for it. I could have the B&K 505 for $200 less.

They have the 49TX for $2395. I don't know exactly what the $600 difference is besides the 1 wire connection to the DVD. I guess that only works with the Pioneer DVD right? Unfortunately I have a new Toshiba DVD.

The IRS hasn't deposited the money yet so I'm not ready to buy today. But if I thought I could get the TXi for $2200, I probably would have been all over it.

Right now I'm in the process of driving myself nuts with the choices.

For quite awhile I figured I'd end up with the Outlaw 950/755 but the more I read the more I worry that might not be the best combination with my new RF7,RC7,RS7 speakers.

So I started thinking B&K but all of this home theater stuff has gotten tremendously more complicated since I last spent alot of money back in the early 90's. The idea of the Pioneer setting itself up sounds better and better to me. Especially since everyone seems to rave about it.

This is the first time in many years I've not saved my tax refund so I'm trying to be very careful that I end up happy with my purchase.