Newbie questions???

JeffCarlson

Hi! I am almost ready to make a technology leap (a considerable one) into the current century, and I could use a bit of advice. First, let me start with where I am coming from:

NAD 7400 receiver (very nice but only 2 channel)

Denon DCM-520

Philips DVD 953

and a pair of Rectilinear Research speakers (from the good old days of the 70s... I loved them but the wife has banished them to the basement!)

SO, it has forced me to go out and get aquainted with new technology, and I have made some but not all decisions.

I started out looking at the bookshelf RB-3II and RB-5, but then I heard the RF-3 and RF-5. The RF-3 to 5 was a real musical change to my ear, and the RF-7s added an expansive soundstage and the speakers literally disappeared. Alas, too much dinero for something that will be "cured" by the other surround speakers. I have chosen an RC-7 center channel, and a pair of in-wall RCW-5s in the rear. A RSW-12 sub will round out the speaker selection. I was hooked on the Denon 3803 to drive these, but a friend recommended that I give a listen to the Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX. The local shop does not have the Pioneer in stock, so I have no basis for comparison except for the numbers.

Has anyone heard the qualities of both of these receivers with Klipsch speakers? Can you describe the sonic difference (if there is any)? What are the general opinions about the Pioneer vs. the Denon? They are virtually a dead heat in $$, so that has not a discriminator. Anyone?

Also, I am hesitant about the use of the KSW-12 sub with this setup. I chose that sub quite frankly bacause it will probably have a higher WAF than the RSW-10 that I would have gone with in the reference series. I think the first time the Reference sub let loose with it's 500W, it would be the last time if you know what I mean . Anyway, any comments in that regard would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the advice and I will hopefully be in listening heaven soon.... I have always wanted a pair of Klipsch...now I am getting 5!! 9.gif

Jeff

I always liked the Denon better. I have owned many pio. One not here, Pio. rates there wattage at 6ohms. But I think Both would drive the speakers fine. It is going to be a personal thing. Find a dealer that had one and just start playing with it, because I have found the Denon's are real easy to use. As for the sub if you have the money I would step up. Exspecially if your room is not small. I know what you mean with the wife thing. If it sounds good though they will give you some ley way. Good luck and let use know how it turns out.

Well, I made the plunge.... Denon 3803 connected to RF5s, RC-7, RCW-5s, and a KSW-12. Now all I have to do is figure out what to hook them up with. Any suggestions from the group on a decent cable connect? My RF5 will only be about 6 ft on either side of the amp. My sub about 12, and the in-walls are about 15 ft away (I am allowing 30 ft on each segment for the vertical distance). I would like to spend as little as possible, but I will not sacrifice the quality of the sound.

Suggestions welcomed!

Jeff

Maybe I am foolish, but the RSW-10 just seems like overkill to me. I auditioned both, and while it is very difficult to discern what room acoustics will do, I did not find the RSWs to be double the price of the KSWs. Can I hear from someone who had both?

I cannot tell you how the 3803 is yet..... the system will not be hooked up for a week or so... I have some work to do.

Any comments on the sub would be appreciated.

Jeff

I agree the ksw12 is not much of a sub, but it is about coin and what you like. If it is good enough for you than don't worry about it. You always can buy something better. The rsw subs are better in every area thu. Most store will have some type of good return policy so you can try them for a couple of days and if you don't like them you can return them. Maybe you can try that. You always can turn the sub down if it is to much, but you can't turn an underpowered sub up to get a good punch.

Since you brought it up, you could get "4", 2 pr of Hersey II's for the price of a pair of RF'7's.

I use the KLF-C7 in my system for a centre, love it!

As a Heritage owner, I'd put the Hersey against the RF7 any day 3.gif

The RSW12 would leave the KSW12 in the dust, try a Velodyne...HGS12....using Straightwire Encore sub cable.....but with your setup, the HGS10 would be more than enough.