SVS placement suggestions/question? (Photos of my HT included)

fabulousfrankie

While on the never ending quest for better sound, I was repositioning my RF-3II's and ended up pulling them a forward and thought, hmmm....I can fit a subwoofer back there.1.gif

So I started playing around with this Room Response Calculator I found at HTF. According to it I get a much smoother response if my subwoofer is placed in the front left corner of my room. This means it needs to be placed behind my left RF-3II. I don't really know how well this relates to real world performance but I don't mind the idea of moving the big cylinder out of immediate site.

Here's my question, will it be a big deal if I put my SVS behind my RF-3II's? I know there's the issue of the port being blocked but I found I like the sound better if I have a higher cutoff for my mains, they're currently set at 100hz. So with the 100hz cutoff is the port being block still going to be a big deal?

Here's the response from the RRC at it's current position:

RRC-current.jpg?dc=4675411601566266707

Here's the response at the proposed location:

RRC-proposed.jpg?dc=4675411601570068548

Here's a link to see my of my system to get an idea of what I'm talking about. Tell me what you think of my surround wiring.

http://groups.msn.com/HomeAudio/shoebox.msnw

Dude, get some matte black paint and make your room into a HT. Trade in your bed for a futon you can put in the middle of the room 9.gif

Try to lessen the tow angle on your speakers, you might actually be CROSSING the sounds 6.gif or something like that.

Nice rig. I love that AV furniture.

Hey guys,

I think those pictures are deceiving you. At the time of those pictures, my RF-3II's weren't toed in that much(about 10 degrees max). Day before yesterday I started to fiddle with placement of them again, but I'm not done. Since the pictures, I've added a longer component video cable so I no longer have wires in the air.

----------------

Frankie,

...With all this money spend on stuff I rolled around the svs until I found some place I thought it sounded the best. Pretty pitiful....

Scott

----------------

Scott,

There's nothing pitiful about it. You spent the money, so you should get the most out of it. I'm mainly considering moving the sub for aesthetic reasons.

----------------

Dude, get some matte black paint and make your room into a HT. Trade in your bed for a futon you can put in the middle of the room
9.gif

Try to lessen the tow angle on your speakers, you might actually be CROSSING the sounds
6.gif
or something like that.

Nice rig. I love that AV furniture.

----------------

Thanks for the compliment. The furniture was actually pretty cheap. $290 for all pieces from Circuit City. I sold some speakers locally and the guy partially paid me with a $150 gift card so it was even less cash out of my pocket.

I don't know if anyone else has done this, but did ya'll notice you can't see the speaker wire going to the surrounds.

Any other thoughts on the SVS blocking the ports. I'm probably gonna measure the response of both positions(maybe this weekend) and compare. Since I have the BFD, I can probably get a smooth response as long as there's no cancellations.