Caver M-400 & Klipsch

big_gto

Anyone have experience with Carver's M-400 amp and Heritage series speakers? A non-tube amp with a horn speaker. I've hand my amp for twenty years with absolutely no problems. Never seems to run out of power and have bottomed out quite a few 15" woofers in the past. I currently run a pair of Klipsch kg 4.2s and they sound great. Any thoughts?

I've had absolutely no problems using both my 20 year old Carver M-400t and 11 year old Carver TFM-35x power amps with my Heritage Series Cornwalls! Both Carvers provided way more power then I needed for my classic horns, and the sound wasn't compromised at all because of their SS design. I have to admit that when I finally got my Cornwalls, I didn't use either Carver amps for long...I replaced the TFM-35x with a McIntosh MC7200 200WPC SS amp (that I originally bought for my Maggies), and later an MC250 (my latest SS Mac, at only 50WPC; see my system progression at the Odds and Mods Forum).

Most audiophiles state that low watt SET tube amps are the best for these vintage horns (and I agree), but there are plenty of well-designed SS amps that are capable of providing sheer enjoyment with Klipsch loudspeakers. Your M-400 "cube" may be overkill for your efficient kg 4.2s, but it's a good all-around amplifier, and if you love the combination, then by all means, enjoy!

Back in '80, I heard 4 Klipschorns powered by 2 Carver M-500t Magnetic Field power amps...that magical sound made me a Klipsch believer, and the reason why I traded my Magnepans for the Cornwalls!