Tragedy in RI

JCturboT

I'm sure everyone has read/heard about the fire that claimed 97 lifes in West Warwick RI.

My heart goes out to the victims and their Families.

One of the people who lost their life that night was Mike Gonsalves, a DJs of the Rock station 94.1 WHJY in Providence.Mike was MCing the show at the club "The Station" that night.

Known as "The Doctor" Mike hosted a show by the name of The Metal Shop.

This show has great memories for me as he hosted it for the last 15 years and I have been a listener from the beginning.

I can remember many a Summers night sitting around our cars,groups of friends listening to The Doctor crank out the heaviest Metal tunes for two hours at a time. Now the times have changed,many of close friends moved away,most of us have Families of our own and staying up from 12:00-2:00am on Saturday night listening to loud music doesn't ring well with loved ones, but from listening to the show I felt like I knew Mike personally.

I sit up now listening to the Metal Zone for the last time (tonite is the last show-dedicated to Mikes memory).Its tough to know that I won't be able to turn on the radio on a sleepless night and listen to my favorite music.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

What happened at that club was a hellish nightmare that I still can't believe. It sounds like you're a lot like me. I spent much of my youth listening to hard rock/metal and going to concerts. I recall seeing Great White a few times in the eighties, and I also had a few of their albums. Having been in night clubs many times, I can only imagine what was going through these people's minds before they died. They were just like us, going out to here some music that they loved. Perhaps they went to the station that night to re-live their youth for a few hours. It's so sad. God rest their souls.

It is a horrible tragidy. It must be much harder to deal with considering you have been directly affected by this. I try not to think about it too much. When I do, I get to thinking about how it must have been to die like that...15.gif

My prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones and to those who were injured. I'm sure many of us have been in very small clubs over the years to hear some of our favorite music. I know I never stopped to think about anything going so horribly wrong when I was in these very cramped conditions. I shudder thinking about how those people perished. Something like the RI fire makes me realize just how lucky I've been over the years.