Tragedy in RI

JCturboT

I'm sure everyone has read/heard about the fire that claimed 97 lifes in West Warwick RI.

My heart goes out to the victims and their Families.

One of the people who lost their life that night was Mike Gonsalves, a DJs of the Rock station 94.1 WHJY in Providence.Mike was MCing the show at the club "The Station" that night.

Known as "The Doctor" Mike hosted a show by the name of The Metal Shop.

This show has great memories for me as he hosted it for the last 15 years and I have been a listener from the beginning.

I can remember many a Summers night sitting around our cars,groups of friends listening to The Doctor crank out the heaviest Metal tunes for two hours at a time. Now the times have changed,many of close friends moved away,most of us have Families of our own and staying up from 12:00-2:00am on Saturday night listening to loud music doesn't ring well with loved ones, but from listening to the show I felt like I knew Mike personally.

I sit up now listening to the Metal Zone for the last time (tonite is the last show-dedicated to Mikes memory).Its tough to know that I won't be able to turn on the radio on a sleepless night and listen to my favorite music.

Jeff

Jeff, I'm surprised no one's responded to this thread ... maybe because they thought you were focused on the loss of the show ... I know you personally, and know for a fact it is otherwise.

This was a fire to end all fires. The club owner was a TV investigative reporter for WHDH here in Boston, and he actually had a camera in the club to document "club safety" .... It is tragically ironic that on this night, the club was totally torched in less than three minutes and the patrons were mostly found near the door, piled on top of each other. They failed to get out.

There IS something to learn from this. Permits, fire marshalls, club owners ... they are not always perfect in enforcement of what is right and what is law. I myself frequent a club in Maynard (MA) that is much like this one. It always draws large crowds and there is a front door that is "coved" out much like the RI club. This is done to prevent people from "gaping" through the front door, and it also lessen noise to the street when the patrons enter and leave. It is, however, a tough place to channel 100+ panicked patrons when the place is on fire.

It's a good habit, whether you're clubbing or flying, to note where the nearest exit is when you settle in your seat. It is tragic that so many at this RI club didn't, because they ALL could have cleared in less than one minute had the unutilized exits to the sides have been used. It just happened too fast and the folks rushed to where they entered.

Think about it, and add it to you checklist the next time you're out.

Chris,

Yes,seeing the video clip on CNN.com brought chills up my spine-especially the clip of the people jammmed up in the main entrance (which was later removed).I can't imagine what was going throught those peoples minds that night-its a chilling scene.

As a "child of the 80s" I go to several renunion tours a year and this hit close to home for me as I am a Great White fan and very well could have been there in RI that night had I had a friend to make the trip.

Listening to the radio last night at the vigil when they read off the people names and especially their ages (close to mine)it will forever change the way I look at things and take things for granted.

Hopefully something positive will come of this tragedy.

Jeff