Need help with RF-5 and port noise!!

DRACONIAN

After installing my RF-5's lastnight I found that on all the low notes the port makes alot of annoying whistling from port. Would not be that big of a deal, if it was not for the fact that it is so loud at times. I can't listen to some of my music if their is any below 70hz. Help me please, I would love to keep the speakers but if I can't correct the problem back they go!! HELP PLEASE!

I am wondering if your speakers are some how defective? I don't have any port noise out of my KG5.5s. How large are ports on the RF-5s? Also, do you have the bass eq turned WAY up on your a/v rec'r?

Some thing is wrong with the speakers. There shouldn't be that much port noise. You really shouldn't notice any port noise at all. Call the store and see what they will do for you. All so look inside the port and make sure there is nothing in there that would be making the noise, there is suppose to be insulation in there though.

Both RF-5's have the exact same problem. I have played with all the EQ settings and tone controls with only a slight change.When I set them to small the problem goes away. I took my RF-3's from the back and put them as the mains and they sounded great not one problem. I have looked in the port for maybe they might have a problem from the inside lip of the port, no problems there. The insulation is also all in place. I called my dealer to see if maybe I could get a deal on RF-7's, but I rather have my RF-5's working properly!!

----------------

On 3/4/2003 10:38:03 AM fini wrote:

Hmmm...Port Noise Complaint. Have you considered seeing a psychologist?

fini

----------------

I thought this was a wine thread.2.gif

Seriously, I'd bet that there's something either loose or stuck inside the things that are making the noise.

Talk to your dealer, maybe bring them with to let him hear it. I've done that before with a bad woofer.

Oh, and make sure that they plug them into a good amp that is able to get to the volumes that you are using to create the sound at home.

Honestly, I would trade down to some RF-3s for the fronts and take the extra cash and invest it into another subwoofer (if you need more bass). Having 3s all the way around would give you a very good HT setup. The RF-3s are theoretically capable of outputting over 119dB so what more do you need? :)

Most likely you probably have a defective speaker. I have no port noise out of my RF-7s - none, zilch, zippo, nada!

About is it worth the extra cash to upgrade? Perhaps, perhaps not. If you upgrade, you'll most likely will need/want to upgrade the center and surrounds. Personally, I'd take the advice and go back to the 3's, use the money for second pair of RF-3s You'll have nearly identical speaker all the way around. If you don't want to do that, try exchanging your pair of RF-5s for another pair and try them again. If you still get port noise, than perhaps it is placement in your room. If the RF-3s work better in the long run, save the money and stick with the '3s.

Personally, I did not think it was worth it to go from RF-3s to RF-5s, but it was worth it go to to the RF-7s. (and I listened to all three side-by-side).

Well I finally found what the problem was, seems odd but the threads where the bolts that hold the legs to the cabinet, had air passing by them. I put a low Frq. test tone on and traced it down to the screw holes, you could feel air passing them. I applied teflon tape to the threads problem solved! As for upgrading, maybe go with RF-7's all around9.gif As for going with RF-3's all around that is what I had before upgrading to the RF-5's. I like having the larger mains for 2-channel music. The RF-5's seem to have a slight advantage in the mids. As for subs I already have 3 SVS's 2 front 1 rear, over kill huh! "NOPE"2.gif Thanks for the help.

----------------

On 3/5/2003 7:01:23 AM DRACONIAN wrote:

Well I finally found what the problem was, seems odd but the threads where the bolts that hold the legs to the cabinet, had air passing by them. I put a low Frq. test tone on and traced it down to the screw holes, you could feel air passing them. I applied teflon tape to the threads problem solved!

----------------

Hmmm... Interesting. I'll have to go check RF-7s to see if there is something similar happening. Like I mentioned, I do not notice any port type noise whatsoever, but still worth checking - perhaps it may improve the sound a little bit to plug any airleaks that may be occuring.

Glad you did find the problem - still wonder if that would be considered a "manufactureing defect". For something like that, I guess it was just easier to fix it yourself instead of lugging those beasts back to the store to exchange them.

I am also now curious as to what you think about them now that this problem has been corrected.

They are the thread holes on the bottom of the cabinet that hold the plastic feet on. Also, they sound perfect now, just perfect sound from them! I also checked all driver hardware to make sure they where all properly secured. Found some torx head screws that hold the woofers in slightly loose no big deal. Not worth the trouble of taking back to dealer.