How to get low hz to L and R speakers

oplin

I have 2 floor standing speakers not sure of model they're from 1972 though. They have 15" subs in each one. I can't get any bass out of them when using optical cable or coax cuz it sends it to the LFE output thingy. I can use just simple RCA cables to get bass from them but not very high quality. I was wondering how i could get bass out L and R speakers (they are powered by the reciever)?

I was thinking i could take 1/8" mini stereo jacks coming out of my audigy soundcard on the computer, get the adapter to rca jacks and hook all 6 channels into my reciever as coming through a DTS thingy. And combine L and LFE channels together (A rca mono splitter, cept have the 2 channels go in as 2 and into the reciever as one rca jack, not sure if it will add onto the other channel or interfear).

I would shy away from combining some wiring at this point.

Need some more info here:

What receiver are you using?

It probably has a crossover setting that is limiting the lower frequencies to your mains.

Your receiver may also have an option of sending the signal to the mains, sub, or both. Check that too. I have mine currently set to both. I've tried sending it to the sub only, but there are times that I don't want the sub on (ie late at night) but still want to hear some bass.

The reciever is a KLH 5100 or something really close to that i'm at school right now. the reciever was bought really cheap only really need it for was the amp. I basically send all audio into my audio sound card and send it back to reciever and out to the speakers. I'd like to use optical or coaxial inputs but i get no bass then.

The receiver is the key. Different receivers are made different - some inexpensive receivers have great features and some don't. On my Yamaha I can choose for the LFE (lower frequency output to either be sent only to the sunbwoofer, sent to both the sub and the mains and last - sent only to the mains (sub off).

I have an inexpensive Sherwood that can send the lower frequencies to the mains or to the sub.

Some inexpensive receivers do not have these options.

I would suggest consulting with your receiver manual or contact the company / research website for user information.