Need a Home Theater Speaker Package

pennektj

This is an embarrasing question, but I am looking to buy a home theater speaker package for under $400. My future in-laws mentioned they wanted to get speakers for a "home theater" and wanted me to pick them out. I don't have the $42,000 budget like some have had in the past. Instead I have $400. They are looking for a small satalite systems, with a sub. Nothing outragous... Any recommendations... best package for the buck? They will be using a basic Dolby Pro Logic Reciever. They are currently using there TV speakers.

I am a little nervous on this one, not used to shopping on this tight of a budget, and don't want to make the future in-laws upset.

Thanks for your help.

do you need a dvd player with this?

two options.

1st, LogiTech Z-680s. You get DTS, DD, ProLogic II and speakers only beated by the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1's (which are >$100 more at $400 plus the needed digital decoder, the DD-51 which costs $179). The LogiTech Z-680 which includes 5 sattelites and a subwoofer plus as I said, a DTS/DD and PLII decoder with two digital inputs, plus 6 channel line level inputs plus a remote control, can be had only for around $270-400.

2nd, the only HTIB system that sounded decent to me was one from Denon. Check them out.

This is the best you can do if you need a receiver and speakers. With the LogiTech system you still will need a DVD player, which would put you right at $400, the Denon which also costs $400 comes with a DVD player if memory serves me right.

Check out these:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Main/Intro/Firstpage.asp

Energy Take 5 5 speakers and sub for $600 is a good value on ebay.

Cambridge sells their older lines on ebay, too.

You could also buy 3 pair of used speakers like like Boston acoustics A100 and A60's for about $300 total....or Polk, etc. This probably would be as clean or pretty. The sub/sats blend into the furniture better.

Just searching ebay and I came across this great deal on the JBL NSP-1 package with a buy it now of $179.99. At stores like Best Buy they're around $500! Usually you can't find them under $200.

Check out this link some guy put together and why theyr'e such a good deal:

http://www.geocities.com/p_iturra/Misc_HT_Speakers.html

I setup a system for a friend with the NSP-1 package and it really surprised me with how much more expensive the system sounded. It's by far my favorite budget system. I'd personally look for a used sub, but the Audiosource SW-15 is one worth considering in your budget. It's available from ubid.com and usually go under $200.

Cnet has some informative reviews on HT speaker systems for under $400. Check them out. Also, my parents bought a Sony Speaker system for $300, it sounds decent even on DTS and DD sources. It should more than suffice for Pro Logic(and someone who doesn't have a demanding ear).