Denon receivers

sseymour

I have been spending a lot of time with my Klipsch Reference 3 setup and my Denon 3805 setup. I love it. As was described in another thread, it's been ages since I would just lay on the floor and listen to music! I LOVE IT! Regular CD's sound awesome! Then I stumbled on some DVD-A and DTS Audio CD's.....WOW, Why did I wait so long to do this? I'm not sure on all the feature differences between the 3803 and the 3805, but I do remember needing the additional inputs that the 3805 provided. One thing I really like about the system, is that you can listen to it loud, but you don't realize how loud it is until you try and say something and you have to yell to be heard. To me, that's a good sign that somethings working right. To listen to it 'that' loud, but not have it hurting is something I've hoped for. As far as loudness? I can't turn this thing up to the max and listen to it...I have, and it's crystal clear, but it's just too loud. Another good sign, lots of head room. Be sure you have clean power. Haven't seen that mentioned before..... If you don't have one, get a line conditioner...make sure it's clean and that there's plenty of it. Try not to plug it into the same circuit as the washer and the dryer, meaning, try not to share breaker loads with other equipment when possible.

It's a tough choice, but I feel confident in my purchase. Ultimately you have to be happy with the sound/features. Good luck on your 'tone' quest.

1.gif

TauRus.

Thanks for the input, your probably right on most counts plus a few other things. I listened to CD's tonite and it sounded much better, is there a break-in period with these units? I think my biggest problem is that my old SA6500 that I have been using all these years is a little muted or put more politely "warm" sounding. And since I naturally tune in to bass it was a good fit for me, by the time I cranked it up to the volume of bass I wanted the mids and highs would finally come thru, and I just got used to it. So when I hooked up a system the way it was supposed to sound my ears were not ready for it. The source last nite was satellite radio which I input thru DBS, correct?

I also overestimated the Pure-Direct mode which is what I used when I compared it to the Pioneer with tone at 0db. The 3803 sounded better in stereo mode and i will just have to notch up the bass control a little for personal taste. Most of my other gear including interconnects is crap until I can upgrade everything.

It was the end of a long day by the time I got it working and my patience was thin, I think I just need a few days to get to know how to operate it. It's good to read raves from other Denon owners. I may have to give Yamaha a listen though...I have 30 days to decide.

Hi,

Could you please rate the performance on the Reference 7 powered by the Yamaha RXV 2400.. Is that powerful enough.. I was about to buy the 2400 and someone just adviced me againt it and recommended to go for higher spec to power a 800 Sq Ft room.. Pls advice..1.gif