external DAC P-3A: cure for the harsh CD sound?

kjohnsonhp

CDs on my Cornwalls above 80db are harsh...I've though about the Rega Planet but then I got a recommendation to try the following. Anyone have experience with this? Can you do some of this 24/96-like sound improvement on a PC cheaper?

I guess the big question is around price. Is it worth it? The total solution is $2K..the DAC along is around $900.

P-1A / P-3A Secrets of HT and HiFi Review

11/07/2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The P-3A is an excellent DAC all by itself, but it is the combination of the P-1A and P-3A that made my jaw drop. Together, they delivered some of the finest digital audio I have ever heard. CDs have been notorious for having a slightly harsh edge to them, and this problem was now completely gone. I was able to turn the volume up louder without the slightest hint of irritation. Some music demands loud playing, such as Copland's "Fanfare to the Common Man". In the past, I have used this disc (Telarc) to test many things, and it is a very demanding piece of music, especially the way it was recorded by Telarc. I have to play it loud for the tests, and it has always irritated my hearing a little at these high levels, because that is the way many CDs are. But with the PTs, I enjoyed the music 100% regardless of the volume. I could not get it to a loudness that bothered me from the edgy point of view. The only thing keeping me from cranking it all the way, was the fact that I want to keep my eardrums intact for a while longer.

Cymbals and gongs have an enormous amount of overtones. The Copland Fanfare uses a huge gong throughout the composition. To my complete surprise, not only was the gong much easier (no edginess) for my hearing to take, but it had more substance . . . more body. It was more musical. I have to say that the PT experience is as close to having all the good qualities of our classic analog LPs as I can imagine. I say good qualities, because the PT's sound lacks the pops, hisses, and clicks that plague phonograph records.

To put it another way, the PTs move the sound quality closer to what an actual 96/24 recording would sound like than I have ever heard. It is giving me the opportunity to hear my old CDs in a totally new, and thrilling situation, rather than having to wait until they are all redone as 96/24 discs (from analog tapes or high resolution digital tapes).

The P-1A and P-3A together represent one of the most innovative and important digital audio technologies to come along in several years. They not only have superb sound quality rivaling equipment selling for thousands of dollars more, but have new concepts that no one else offers. The beauty is that PT is just getting started on these products. The algorithms will be improved, and we can download them. They are easily worth the money with no further additions, but the speaker correction and room correction options, coming shortly, make them a must have.

Stacy Spears, Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity (09.01.2000)

You would do this and do what -- run this all through the preamp section of your Outlaw Receiver?

Besides, if the harshness was related to digital hash -- you would also notice it at 70db. Have you done any mods to the Cornwalls?

I need to get a pre-amp for sure. I've assumed a pre-amp and warmer source would help.

As curious as I am with the external DAC it seems like a last resort. The price is too expensive relative to the rest of my gear.

I would say the sound is bright at low levels, too but less pleasing at higher volume levels.

The Corns are original and in good shape.

If this is the Ken Johnson in Flower Mound, we can find out easily enough. Why don't you come over and have a listen to the MBS3? Assuming you like what you hear (I don't know about other things, but it certainly doesn't sound harsh on my 'horns), we'll take it over to your house and see what happens.

Dave

So you can do this with a PC at a lower cost?

Yes, I would like to hear your server on my Corns. I would also like to hear what kind of improvement I get from a tube pre-amp.

I propose to add the M-Audio to my PC and then get a tube pre-amp.

Yes...Flower Mound

Dave's system sounded great!

If this is the Ken Johnson in Flower Mound, we can find out easily enough. Why don't you come over and have a listen to the MBS3? Assuming you like what you hear (I don't know about other things, but it certainly doesn't sound harsh on my 'horns), we'll take it over to your house and see what happens.

Dave

Erik, re tubes:

Turns out my old Lafayette testor doesn't have a listing for the 6GH8A input tubes. Bummer. Has the sockey, and lots of similar, but I assume that tube was later than the testor. If you happen to know of an equivalent, I'll try it.

I still hope to get Ron and his Hickok over soon...

Dave