Rookie Questions RF-7's

BlueMonk

I have had RF3II's for about a year(replacing Accoustimass) and just bought RF-7s this week. Obviously, I have been infected with this audio bug once I realized how much better music could be with my RF3's. It was great to discover this web site and see how many others are loyally devoted to Klipsch.

My new 7's sound great but I am not pleased with how much one speaker dominates the sound from my listening position. It seems that my RF3's had better soundstaging (I think that's the word) between the speakers. Any ideas on what would make such a difference?

Do the products like the Monster power cleaners make a noticeable improvement in the sound? I am just using a midrange Yamaha receiver to drive the speakers. I realize that I am a long way from the ultra high end systems many of the users here but just trying to figure out what I should lust after next. I plan to continue taking small steps.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Not sure exactly what you mean by one speaker dominating (right, left, horn, cone, ??)

The RF-7 is a more sensitive speaker than the RF3s,and if you're using a transistor amp, you're probably hearing the distortion that is rather high, at low powers, in many transistor designs. That's why so many on this forum use tube, or carefully selected transistor designs.

What equipment are you using? an you explain a little more about what you don't like about what you hear?

leok

Sounds like you are just complaining that one side is louder than the other.

The RF-7 is substantially more efficient than the RF-3. This means less power is needed to reach the same volume levels you enjoyed with the RF-3. This also means your volume control doesn't have to be turned as much. It is a common problem that most volume controls do not even out both channels until they are about at the 9 o'clock position. Of course, with a set of RF-7's -- at this point you are being blown out of the room. Take advantage of your balance adjustment and simply turn it until both speakers are playing at roughly the same volume level.

Power conditioning is a good thing. IMO, a basic conditioning system like the Monster HTS-1000 is sufficient.

Begin saving for a low powered integrated tube amp.

I am powering the 7's with the Yamaha RX-V620 which produces 100W. I would assume that this $500 receiver uses transistors. There is a significant difference in the efficency of the 7's, just as both of you predicted.

My problem is that the left speaker just seems louder than the right. I always felt that the balance was something that should not be adjusted. Not sure where I came up with that rule. Anyway, the balance adjustment does help the problem.

Sounds like my next step needs to be a new receiver. I will read on the forums for ideas but let me know if you have suggestions that work well without modifications. Thanks for your help.1.gif

Have you tried swapping the right speaker for the left spreaker while leaving your balance level the same and using the same demo material to see if one may have a defect? If no change after trying that test why not change speaker wires.If nothing changes then perhaps it's time to look at the receiver.

bkrop,

Nominal distance from walls of 12" or more should work ok. If low bass is boomy, move out further. If thin sounding, move closer.

Have you cleaned all interconnects with something like Caig "ProGold?" It could just be a poor interconnect circuit.

leok