KT-88 question ?

Dale W

Mark,

I can only think of one advatage to the KT-88 ......... Its cheaper and the current production that is available from what I hear is of better quality then the same 6550.

But I'm absolutely sure with all your years with different Mark III's that you would know that the Tungsol 6550A would be the best mate. So Dale take notice I bet Mark is right on with this !! Buy you some Tungsol coke bottle 6550A !!

Craig

The Tesla KT-88-S is supposed to be the bomb, and I've been reading all kinds of good things about the Slovokian tubes as a whole. My Quicksilvers are using the Tesla EL-34's, and the system sounds very dynamic and smooth. It wouldn't be fair to not give some credit to the 8 Tesla output tubes.

As some of you allready know , when it comes to the tech end i tend not to offer to much of an opinion. This is mainly because i'm trying very hard to learn and reading as much as possible. So i'd rather say nothing than offer an uninformed opinion.

So with that being said, while reading one of my magazines " audio xpress " and UHF ( ultra high fidelity ) I came across an add for tubes from a british supplier. Chelmer valve company ltd

web site www.chelmervalve.com they advertise kt-88 GLTYPE for 35 lbs each.

There web page lists these as golden lions and show a picture of the valve with the golden lion pictured on the valve, i e-mailed them today and asked if they were the real thing or not.

Thanx for the imput guy's 1.gif And yes craig i'm sure mark has forgotten more about making a mark III sing than i'll ever be able to learn. But i'll keep trying and reading untill i start loosing intrest or get a better grip on these circuits .

dean: these guy's sell the tesla kt-88 jj also 23.85 lbs ( can't find a pound key ? )

Read very carefully, especially the last paragraph.

"Everyone in the audio tube business knows that the justly famous brand names of yesteryear, such as Brimar, GEC, Mullard, RCA and Telefunken are scarce and often expensive.

Although we supply all the major brands as available, and we have many in stock, our policy is to offer a range of tubes. These are all new and mostly of current manufacture and are always the best we can source from around the world.

The result is a range, which we call our CVC Premium brand. Our special processing gives you a selection of valves for low noise, hum and microphony on pre-amp tubes and controlled burn-in on power tubes to improve stability and avoid weaknesses."

When you click on the link for 'CVC', you can scroll down to the tube in question.

KT88GL.jpg

This is either a relabeled Sovtek KT-88, or a nice Chinese copy.

Sorry Dale.

I have the Tesla KT88 JJ tube in my amps too. These are not very expensive tubes and play very well imho, but, these are not the same tubes as the original Tesla KT88's that are much prized and usually pretty expensive.

I have never heard the originals but definitely prefer the Tesla JJ's over the sovtek 6550WE tubes and the Svetlana's which are probably a bit sweeter but with significantly less impact and speed.

Just my 0.02